Hello everyone, I am excited to find a forum for fishing on Lake Ontario. I am completely new to fishing this great lake and would love some advice and hints on getting my first trout or salmon in this lake. I have fished for over 20 years on in-land lakes but now I want to venture out onto this great lake.

I am in eastern ontario so one of the first things I am curious about is whether anyone fishes for salmon or steelhead/lake trout in the Kingston/quinte area including Wellington? I hear lots about Port Hope area but is this the farthest east people travel to fish?

My boat is an 18ft Nitro 188 sport with a 150 HP so I can't venture out too far off shore as I have the greatest respect for the lake and how ugly it can get in no time. Do you have to be miles off shore to catch these fish? How is the spring fishing in the eastern part of the lake.

Thanks for creating this forum. I am excited to learn about fishing the great lake and looking forward to my first salmon, steelhead, brown, laker, well, anything really 8)