North Cayuga

Hey guys. I've been lurking on the forum a little while now and decided to post a question. This saturday (tomorrow) I'm gonna take my step father fishing out of Cayuga lake state park and was hoping to get him into some pike. So I'm looking for some tips on where in particular to take him. I have always heard the pike fishing was good up there. I've only fished northern Cayuga three times myself. So any help would be greatly appreciated.

I think if it were me I'd try going straight out to the middle of the lake from the park and head south in the channel where the buoys are and when you reach where it drops off to about 12-15 ft. or so (south) fish to the west side (e.g. outer edge of weedbeds near Canoga Park using live bait (e.g. shiners rigged with bobbers to "freefloat" or casting lures. If trolling try the channel area 8-20 ft (you'd be headed south) with stuff like red and white or black and white daredevles or stickbaits on toplines way back trolling slow for starters to where it starts dropping off out from Hibiscus Point and Frontenac toward the east. You should also run into some good sized Pickerel there.

Edited by Sk8man

Lark,

Not sure you will catch a ton of Pike up there but you will get a few, you will get into quite a few pickerel.  There were a ton of them caught up there through the ice!  We caught one the other day trolling for browns and salmon just a little ways south from where Les is talking about.  I would think you will do well with any natural colors like black and silver, black and gold, or perch.  The pickerel we caught the other day hit a blue and white J 9 rapala.