transducer location

jfg

Last year I purchased a 16 ft dc Starweld that came with a basic Humminbird fish finder. The transducer is mounted on starboard side. I saved off my previous boat a Garmin 430-S Fish finder/GPS which has lake cartography. Does anyone see a problem if I wanted to leave the Humminbird where it is and add the Garmin with the transducer mounted on the port side. I may be wrong, but I seem to recall that the transducer should be mounted starboard. There is nothing in the Garmin manual that suggests either port or starboard.

Thanks in advance for advice

Jim

Basically you want it away from motor turbulence or the turbulent areas of the rear of the hull design (not near or on back of chines) If the khz of the unit is a different frequency than your finder you may be able to locate it nearby if the hull design permits. You may also get a plastic or fiberglass mounting board and attach it to the transom and mount your transducers there so you have a greater range of locations and more freedom to move them around for optimal performance.

Edited by Sk8man