Trim Tabs

Bearpaw

Just picked up a boat last Sunday and the trim tabs aren't in working order. When you hit the switch on the dash you can hear a clicking noise where the hydraulic motor is. It doesn't seem to be really powering up as I would assume it would make a hum if it was. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. My thoughts were maybe checking the electrical hookups inside of the motor itself and see if some cleaning of it was in store. Also, any advice on new hydraulic trim tab pumps would be greatly appreciated.

Just picked up a boat last Sunday and the trim tabs aren't in working order. When you hit the switch on the dash you can hear a clicking noise where the hydraulic motor is. It doesn't seem to be really powering up as I would assume it would make a hum if it was. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. My thoughts were maybe checking the electrical hookups inside of the motor itself and see if some cleaning of it was in store. Also, any advice on new hydraulic trim tab pumps would be greatly appreciated.

Do you know what brand of Trim Tabs you have, i.e. Bennett or Boat Leveler?  Also how old do you think they might be?

Tom McGow

Bennett Marine

Have same problem with mine, boat is a 1990 so there probably on a long time. Are they worth trying to repair?

Do you know what brand they are?  Once I know I can help with troubleshooting.

Tom

Bennett Marine

Tabman after getting done with work I decided I would take further look into the operation of the tabs. I ended up removing the entire unit and pulling the motor out. Upon investigation everything was shiney and looking up to standards. Which checked off the option of water damage. After hooking the motor itself up to a battery I got nothing but spark so I freed up the motor plugged it in and off she went! Trim tabs in working order and the previous owner said they haven't worked in 10 years! Very happy I can't wait to try out the performance of these tabs as my motor was certainly having a tough time getting the boat on plane and a good riding level when it did. 

Here is troubleshooting for Bennett

Here is a link to a video that covers the basic system and general troubleshooting http://www.bennetttrimtabs.com/videoplayer.php?vID=10

Here is a link to a video that covers troubleshooting the pump des not run http://www.bennetttrimtabs.com/videoplayer.php?vID=13

Look at the motor boday and see if it looks corroded.

Let me know what you find and I will walk you through fixing it.

Tom McGow
Bennett Marine

Fluid: Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) any type. Hydraulic Power Unit is self bleeding, running the Trim Tabs up and down 3-4 times will purge air from the system.

Fuse: 12 volt system use 20 amp in-line fuse on positive. (24v & 32v use proportionately smaller)

Red= Port Valve
Green= Starboard Valve
Blue=Motor Forward (pump pressure)
Yellow= Motor Reverse (pump retract)
Black on HPU=Ground
Orange on Helm=Control Positive

Troubleshooting

1.If one side is not operating reverse hydraulic lines on the front of the Hydraulic Power Unit to determine if the malfunction is in HPU or actuator / hydraulic lines. If after reversing the lines symptom shifts to the other side the malfunction may exist in HPU. If the symptom remains on the same side, malfunction may exist with the actuator / hydraulic lines

2. Is the unit receiving a solid 12 volts? Low voltage will some times cause the solenoids to not open preventing the tabs from moving even though the pump motor is running.

3. Conduct the following test:
Remove the wires from the helm control and touch together as follows:
Operation=Reaction
Orange (+), blue, red= Port trim tab down
Orange (+), blue, green=Starboard trim tab down
Orange (+), blue, red, green= Both trim tabs down
Orange (+), yellow, red= Port trim tab up
Orange (+), yellow, green=Starboard trim tab up
Orange (+), yellow, red, green= Both trim tabs up

If the trim tabs function correctly for each wire grouping then the switch is at fault. Also note that any loose or missing screws on the back of the switch (whether a wire is connected there or not) can cause the pump to malfunction.

This test may also be done right at the pump by substituting a "hot lead" for orange. There is usually a connector to the wire harness within a foot or so of the pump. You want to check this connection for corrosion. You may wish to cut the connector off on the pump side and try the test on bare wires.

4. If you suspect corrosion on the wire connector near the pump, cut it out, test as above and reconnect using butt splices.

5. If you conclude the problem is in the pump, contact me. Bennett Trim Tab Systems carry a five year warranty.

6. Check to see if there is a relay in line on the wiring harness near the hydraulic power unit. If there is it is an Interrupter Relay (IR1000). It prevents the system fuse from blowing if you try to actuate one trim tab up and the other down at the same time. After you test as outlined above, try removing the relay from the wiring harness and retest the unit.(Note: the interrupter relay is no longer used in current Bennett Trim Tab systems and has been replaced with a Switches that "lock out" preventing a blown fuse).

Edited by Tabman

Tabman after getting done with work I decided I would take further look into the operation of the tabs. I ended up removing the entire unit and pulling the motor out. Upon investigation everything was shiney and looking up to standards. Which checked off the option of water damage. After hooking the motor itself up to a battery I got nothing but spark so I freed up the motor plugged it in and off she went! Trim tabs in working order and the previous owner said they haven't worked in 10 years! Very happy I can't wait to try out the performance of these tabs as my motor was certainly having a tough time getting the boat on plane and a good riding level when it did. 

Very good! 

Tom

Bennett Marine

Edited by Tabman

• 2 weeks later...

Here is troubleshooting for Bennett

Here is a link to a video that covers the basic system and general troubleshooting http://www.bennetttrimtabs.com/videoplayer.php?vID=10

Here is a link to a video that covers troubleshooting the pump des not run http://www.bennetttrimtabs.com/videoplayer.php?vID=13

Look at the motor boday and see if it looks corroded.

Let me know what you find and I will walk you through fixing it.

Tom McGow

Bennett Marine

Fluid: Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) any type. Hydraulic Power Unit is self bleeding, running the Trim Tabs up and down 3-4 times will purge air from the system.

Fuse: 12 volt system use 20 amp in-line fuse on positive. (24v & 32v use proportionately smaller)

Red= Port Valve

Green= Starboard Valve

Blue=Motor Forward (pump pressure)

Yellow= Motor Reverse (pump retract)

Black on HPU=Ground

Orange on Helm=Control Positive

Troubleshooting

1.If one side is not operating reverse hydraulic lines on the front of the Hydraulic Power Unit to determine if the malfunction is in HPU or actuator / hydraulic lines. If after reversing the lines symptom shifts to the other side the malfunction may exist in HPU. If the symptom remains on the same side, malfunction may exist with the actuator / hydraulic lines

2. Is the unit receiving a solid 12 volts? Low voltage will some times cause the solenoids to not open preventing the tabs from moving even though the pump motor is running.

3. Conduct the following test:

Remove the wires from the helm control and touch together as follows:

Operation=Reaction

Orange (+), blue, red= Port trim tab down

Orange (+), blue, green=Starboard trim tab down

Orange (+), blue, red, green= Both trim tabs down

Orange (+), yellow, red= Port trim tab up

Orange (+), yellow, green=Starboard trim tab up

Orange (+), yellow, red, green= Both trim tabs up

If the trim tabs function correctly for each wire grouping then the switch is at fault. Also note that any loose or missing screws on the back of the switch (whether a wire is connected there or not) can cause the pump to malfunction.

This test may also be done right at the pump by substituting a "hot lead" for orange. There is usually a connector to the wire harness within a foot or so of the pump. You want to check this connection for corrosion. You may wish to cut the connector off on the pump side and try the test on bare wires.

4. If you suspect corrosion on the wire connector near the pump, cut it out, test as above and reconnect using butt splices.

5. If you conclude the problem is in the pump, contact me. Bennett Trim Tab Systems carry a five year warranty.

6. Check to see if there is a relay in line on the wiring harness near the hydraulic power unit. If there is it is an Interrupter Relay (IR1000). It prevents the system fuse from blowing if you try to actuate one trim tab up and the other down at the same time. After you test as outlined above, try removing the relay from the wiring harness and retest the unit.(Note: the interrupter relay is no longer used in current Bennett Trim Tab systems and has been replaced with a Switches that "lock out" preventing a blown fuse).

Thanks for all the info I should be able to figure the problem out. I ll let you know how I make out