Li'l Bit - Last Day Magic At The Oak

Our last day for the season was probably our best. After another typical day of fishing every depth from 100' to 550' on Saturday for a couple of browns and steelhead and one teenage king we set out on Sunday morning in 55' of water. Saturday's bite had been an all spoon bite so we set our riggers and our port side wire rod with spoons and had just got that gear in the water when the wire went off with a brown. We reset that wire and it immediately fires again with another brown. We got it set again and then set out the starboard wire with a NBK spinnie and green glow fly and it was down on a chinook diver out 70 on a 2 setting for less than a minute when it fired and we had our first king of the day to go along with the trout. post-146845-14096163278774_thumb.jpg

That wire fired again and the fight was on again and my grandson was on the business end for an hour to land our largest fish of the season at 25 pounds.

post-146845-14096164982566_thumb.jpgpost-146845-14096165319419_thumb.jpg

The same combo also netted him a 24 pounder a short while later.

post-146845-14096166391649_thumb.jpg

We got so busy that even I had to get on the fish landing our only spoon fish of the day - on a mag flounder pounder on a 100' lead down 45'. post-146845-14096167907517_thumb.jpg

We finished our day with five mature kings and two browns in the box. Tired but content crew and boat are now home in southern PA making plans for our return next July.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm.

Overall we had a good season - caught fish every trip out of the river and only had one blow day off the water.  One thing I was going to mention was that last Saturday we had one brown trout we caught on a three color lead core in 400' of water on a steelie dan spoon off our big board.  I wonder where that one came from.