Garmin SonarCharts - Free beta cards available

Navionics will be releasing SonarCharts for Garmin early in 2015.  This will be the same data that you see on SonarCharts layer on the webapp, the mobile app, and the fish n chip layer on chartplotters.  Navionics would like to get cards into peoples hands to test them and to provide some feedback prior to the rlease.  I can give 20 cards away per forum and I will be posting on several forums.  If you run a Garmin chartplotter and would be willing to to provide a little feedback please email me at [email protected].  

If you want to see what the data will look like go to http://webapp.navionics.com/?lang=en and zoom in on an area, click the little sounder icon in the bottom left to see the "SonarCharts" data that you will be getting.  You will also be able to upload sonar logs to update and create charts.  When you update your card at navionics.com you will have the charts you created on your chartplotter.  

I need the following info:

What forum you read this on, your name, mailing address, phone number, email address, and plotter model. 

Scott 

• 2 months later...
Navionics will be releasing SonarCharts for Garmin early in 2015. This will be the same data that you see on SonarCharts layer on the webapp, the mobile app, and the fish n chip layer on chartplotters. Navionics would like to get cards into peoples hands to test them and to provide some feedback prior to the rlease. I can give 20 cards away per forum and I will be posting on several forums. If you run a Garmin chartplotter and would be willing to to provide a little feedback please email me at [email protected].

If you want to see what the data will look like go to http://webapp.navionics.com/?lang=en and zoom in on an area, click the little sounder icon in the bottom left to see the "SonarCharts" data that you will be getting. You will also be able to upload sonar logs to update and create charts. When you update your card at navionics.com you will have the charts you created on your chartplotter.

I need the following info:

What forum you read this on, your name, mailing address, phone number, email address, and plotter model.

Scott

Rick Pecci

1204 Gray ave Apt 3-E

Utica, N.Y. 13502

Lake Ontario United

[email protected]

Garmin 60cxs

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• 1 month later...
I just found out a whole spreadsheet of names that I submitted to receive cards didn't get them.  I have resubmitted the spreadsheet that somehow went MIA so if you haven't received a card and you had submitted your name.  My apologizes.  It should be coming soon.  Please don't be shy to shoot me off an email to follow up. 

The feedback I have received about the cards has been fairly positive.  Here are some screen grabs from the 901 card that covers the great lakes. 

MSDGAR901SC%204_zps3luqpwjk.jpg

MSDGAR901SC%202_zpskppbzwqn.jpg

MSDGAR-901SC_zpsy0r92aqz.jpg

MSDGAR901SC%203_zpsuucc8skq.jpg

Scott

I am thinking of getting an echomap 93sv.  They come preloaded with Garmin's LakeVu maps.  Are the Navionics that much better than the LakeVu to shell out the money when they come out?  Also I've read about a Navionics disclaimer about Garmin can update their software and then they will not work.  I'm not knocking Navionics.  I just don't know if they are better than LakeVu or if I would get burned with compatibility issues later on.

Some of Garmin's maps are great some of them are not as good as the Navionics coverage. I have found the inland lakes are usually better with Navionics. I think the biggest advantage Navionics has is the ability to upload your sonar logs and regenerate the charts. The system is really slick and easy. It takes just minutes to upload your logs and the charts are updated with your data. It's very easy and efficient.

The best thing to do is compare the two for your body of water. You can see exactly what the Navionics data will look like by going to the webapp and viewing your area. Just go to Navionics.com and click webapp on the top right. Zoom in on your lake and make sure to click the little blue sounder icon on the bottom right corner that turns on the SonarCharts data. Zoom in enough to see the detail and decide if you want it or not. That's the best advice I can give.

As for the software update. Anything new that garmin puts out will not support the Navionics card. If you have a unit that supports it and you don't want to lose the ability to use the Navionics card then just don't do the software update.

Scott

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk