NMEA 0183 Chartplotter to Autopilot

GeckoGuy

I have a Lowrance Elite-7 Chirp and a Raymarine Smartpilot X-5R.  I am trying to connect them using NMEA 0183.  The manual for both units are vague on the subject and the internet hasn't helped me much.  What benefits will I get from linking them?  What do I need to buy and how do I actually hook the system up?  Thanks.

Hook up Elite NMEA 0183 OUT plus and minus to NMEA 0183 IN plus and minus on Smartpilot. Hook up Smartpilot NMEA 0183 OUT plus and minus to NMEA 0183 IN plus and minus on Elite. This should allow your autopilot to steer to chartplotter waypoints using the Track feature on your autopilot. I don't think you need to buy anything, except maybe some shielded cable.

Gecko, could you let us know how you make out. I was told by Lowrance that the Elite 7, which I have, is unable to direct the Raymarine A/P's, I was told I had to upgrade to the HDS gen series. Would be interested in how you make out.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

Gecko, could you let us know how you make out. I was told by Lowrance that the Elite 7, which I have, is unable to direct the Raymarine A/P's, I was told I had to upgrade to the HDS gen series. Would be interested in how you make out.

Hmmm....wierd.  I don't know why it wouldn't, as they both have NMEA 0183 compatibility.  Guess we'll find out.

I had same trouble trying to link HDS5.  Seemed easy enough but could never get it to work.  Called raymarine and Lowrance, both said it should work with no other connections.  Finally gave up on it.  Let us know if it works for you.

• 3 weeks later...

Was wondering if there were any updates with your AP on how you made out Gecko?

Got the cord, but haven't gotten around to hooking it up yet. I'll do it sometime soon