Fishing Report - I/Bay Wed. PM 5/28

Fished from 5:00 - 8:30 PM just west of I-Bay

Depth - 80 - 150 fow

Speed - 2.0 - 2.8 at the ball

Fished riggers (80 foot and 50 foot down), wire Dipsy, boards with surface spoons and 5 color core, and 10 color out the chute.

Went 3 for 6 - highlight was a 13# coho

All spoon bite off riggers and the lead cores - the color green was the key - with hottest spoons being DW SS coyote, NBK, green alewife and 42nd (mag size)

The water was clear as could be, and once the sun dropped, the bite certainly picked up. FWIW, we only saw one other boat - on such a nice night, it was a bit surprising

Thanks

- Chris

Thanks for the report.

I was out last Fri and Sat mornings from 5:30 a.m. to 10 a.m. and boated 6 teen kings in 80 - 120 FOW. Copper set up with NK Monkey puke was on a fire. Rigger down 40' with dodger and atomik hammer fly.

Copper was the best addition to this year arsenals.

Fishing is definitely picking up in Rochester.

Thanks PH for the advice on copper and the fly program....

I agree the fishing has been really picking up over the past few weeks. I've been running the Hammer fly/blue bubble Spin Dr. and Hammer/Mtn. Dew SD on both my wire divers and riggers without a hit this year. We've boated over 40 fish the past two weeks, but only on a spoon bite.

I'm curious what your leader length is between the flasher and fly? I'm still keeping the flashers in the spread b/c I feel that they still attract the fish into the mix, but it would be nice to see a king rip one....

Thanks for your help....

-Chris

I need to be careful about giving out advice because this is my second season trolling for the fins.

The length of the leader between the flasher and fly is about 21" to 23". The rigger set up - I set back the line about 10' from the ball. I made a mistake in the past for letting the line out for more than 30' from the ball and I've learned to keep the dodger set up close to the ball.

I bought copper rigged reel recently at Atomik - http://www.atommiktrollingflies.com/reels.htm I want to add another copper but I was warned by Tom that I need to give it enough time to lgain experience before I can do the multiple copper set up. I will use the boards if I do more than one copper set up.

Thanks again for the tips - I appreciate the help. I'm running a little longer leads - maybe 24" or so, so I think I might shorten 'em up to get a little more action.

Occasionally I'll run the flashers a bit further back from the ball, let's say 25-30 feet if the fish aren't in to the "aggressive" presentation, but you're right, tangles can be a real issue with the longer leads.

Good luck PH - thanks for the advice!!!

-Chris