I'm a shore guy.

Hi folks:

I live in Port Credit (Mississauga, Ont.) I went for a walk today along Cooksville creek which ends in Lake Ontario. I saw so many fish in the creek I almost wet my pants. Problem is. I have no idea what type of fish they are. They were schooled together in a cpl feet of water. They were dark in colour with the exception of two that were white. I'm guessing 2 - 5 pounds. They were quite big. My thought was carp. They were barely moving. Kinda just hovering in the shadows.

I don't own a boat so most of my fishing. Well okay. ALL of my fishing is done from shore. I'm a catch and release guy.

This place is about a 5 min walk from my place. I want to go get some barbless hooks and have some fun!

Anybody have any idea what else might be in that creek?

Thanks.

You might be right about them being carp. try a can of corn and put a few kernnels on a size 6 hook under a float or above a sinker. If there not carp try a night crawler they maybe small mouths but I doubt it. I used to do a lot of carp fishing this time of the year during my youth it was a lot of fun we even had some recipes for dough balls if you look on the internet you should find a bunch of recipes for it. If they are carp dont be afraid to throw a few handfuls of corn out in the area you will be fishing this helps to get them going on it.

Thanks for the reply. I doubt it that they're small mouth. These things were pretty lazy. I had some bread with me and I threw small pieces of it in when I was feeding some ducklings. These things had no interest in anything I was throwing in. It's like they were too lazy to swim 1 foot to investigate. At first I thought the white fish was dead. It just floated in the same spot for a few minutes then barely moved. If I had to guess I'd say that they were about 15" long. I have to go and get my licence so I can drop a line in and open a can of corn.