Spring Fishing

I work for a U.S company, same people different area. Appreciate the help, good luck on the water

If you get in the Wilson Boat Yard area this coming year on a weekend evening, stop by and say Hi.  I've always got some fish stories and a cold brew.  Look for this boat.  Only tin can in the marina.

post-146674-0-86072100-1448932900_thumb.jpg

Nice set up, do you find the electrics are worth the extra money?

Nice set up Bosun.  As far as electronics, get a good fishfinder/GPS unit and don't worry about down speed, down temp or radar for now.   A good fishfinder with GPS will get you most of the way there.

Brain one I was in the same situation as you where about 6 years ago. Warning to you this lake will draw you to like no other. It wrecked a lot of the other lakes for me fishing wise. There is something about seeing and hearing the reel go crazy after a salmon hits. I think you are on the right path for hook ups, my first fish finder was a fish buddy model that clamps on the side of the boat. It did the job for finding depth and fish, the wife has gps on her phone. Your fish finder and boat will do great just have to get the feel of it.

Big water I think I was trolling next to you during the LOTSA derby. I remember the boat, you have the big brother of my sportsmen. Sweet ride you have! Jeff

First time fishing for salmon and lakers was with a guide, myself and my brother paid for the guide to take my dad out for Father's Day (we all fish) and two weeks after that we bought manual down riggers to go on simcoe...... And it has been tough not getting out on these lakes for lakers or salmon again without a boat to handle it. The way those fish pull is something anyone can't get enough off.

The other thing is I don't keep the fish, I'm that catch and release guy on EVERYTHING I catch..... Anyone have tips on the best way of reviving these fish after a fight?

Edited by brain one

Track  system, elec riggers , Rod holders, weights & releases', mast, boards , releases,fish hawk, rods, reels, mono , coppers, lead cores,wire, dipseys . lures etc.

Before you spend a couple K on all  that and bolt it to the boat might I suggest the purchace of a bigger boat first.

Buy that & mount it, Jones all week about being out there & on game day  you want to take the field & there are 2-4 ' waves & the big boats are out there putting the hammer down on the fish, you won't be happy sitting on the sidelines catching sunfish. I say that cause I been there done that.

Easy to get caught up in the hype of all this . Got racks of rods & boxes of lures o the shelf to prove that also.

other thing is I don't keep the fish, I'm that catch and release guy on EVERYTHING I catch..... Anyone have tips on the best way of reviving these fish after a fight?

If you get a lip grip like the boga or another similar style and attach it to a rope. When you chatch a fish grip it by the lower jaw and tie the other end off to a cleat. After trolling for a while you will see the fish right it's self some times you have to hold the tail to assist or slow your troll a little. But with a little patience you can revive almost all the fish you chatch.

Wrong ideas here, my boat is perfectly fine. I'm not going to be on LakeOntario every weekend. I'll be there twice a month IF the weather permits it. I'm not looking to become a guide service, if the impression is you need to have a couple K worth of gear That's just ridiculous. I understand regardless of the type fishing you do it isn't hard to reach a few grand but common guys, to go and spend 600-800 on some better used down riggers and maybe a few more flashers or spoons isn't much. Don't get me wrong, your hook up rate will be way higher then mine but I'm not going to be out there like some of you.

Let's just settle down on some of this, i was only looking for a few pointers to get started, go out and catch a fish or two when I do go. I'm not expecting to catch 10 fish a day

I go north when I fish 9/10 times, I'm a bass guy that's the only reason I'm here . Just seeing if guys can be helpful. Your points are great and I do appreciate the info but I'm certainly not looking to make this my targeted fish every weekend. I have no problem spending a bit more cash to help but I won't be investing thousands to head out 8 times a year on that body of water. hope you guys don't take that the wrong way, I do appreciate everything guys are saying

Your boat is just fine if you pick your days. I've been fishing out of a 17 ft Lowe for 5 years. Caught a lot of fish out of it! You won't be comfortable in waves over 2 ft imo. But those rough days aren't real comfy in a big boat either. I'd suggest investing in a track system. Start out with just a few rod holders and flat line some stick baits for Browns. Then add a couple down riggers and run those plus 2 wire dipseys when the fish get deeper. Then when you get comfortable add a planer board mast and some junk lines. Make sure you have a good ff with gps.

I aired have rod holders and down riggers, a few stick baits for Browns. I have a bunch of tackle for lakers too. My lowrance elite 5 with then avionics chip should be just fine too. Just a matter of configuring everything in a good place and it not then I'll invest a few bucks to make the work.

Thanks