New on this forum and new on Lake Ontario

Hi everyone, I am looking to go out a couple of times this year on Lake Ontario for salmons and trout fishing.

I Have a 21 foot Ranger 2015 boat with 2 down riggers.

My plan is to go with my truck camper to the Darlington National park and use the boat ramp at Port Darlington. I do not have a lot of experience with fishing on Lake Ontario . But  I went 3 times on charters.

I have a lot of experience on large lakes in Quebec. Mistassini, Lac St-Jean.

I know that Lake Ontario can get ruff and my plan is to pick the good weather. I will learn the technics along my different trip base on the information we can get from the web. I have some Spin Doctor flashers and some Dodger with green and yellow flies. I am also well equip in spoon for grey trout.

I know that some fisherman do not like to give away some secret. (especially if it your living as a charter guide) but some basic information would be appreciate.

Like:

- Trolling speed of the boat

- How far the lures should be from the boat.

- What is the maximum depth in summer that the fish can be. 

- What direction of the wind I should avoid going on the lake.

Thank you and hope everyone will have a great fishing season.

Theres a lot more experienced and knowledgeable people on here than me but I'll give you what little info I have acquired over the years.

Trolling speed- For salmon and trout 2.0-2.5. Lakers will hit at that speed as well but I usually troll 1.6-1.9 when targeting them.

Lead length on lures really depends on the time of the year and what you're using. Earlier on fishing for browns in close you need to keep the leads long to keep your spoons away from the boat. In the summer months deeper for salmon 6-20 foot leads are the usual and sometimes it depends on the day.

Depth for fish- depends on time of day and what you're targeting, the salmon may be high in the column in the morning and can be driven down later in the high sun or boat traffic.

Never having fished from your port its hard to tell on wind direction I know that as far as oswego goes North and West winds at any significant speed can really blow the lake up while you can have a stout south wind and never really get blown off.