Re spool 400' cable on my Canon mag 10stx

2 people helps re-spooling.

Loosen the clutch knob.  Pull all the old cable off manually.  Remove clutch knob assembly.  Take the spool off the shaft.  Cut the old cable crimp off and remove.  Put new cable through boom-end Pulley (don't forget this step), thread new cable through the hole in the spool and re-crimp the end.  Re-install spool on the shaft and align line counter gears.  Either use the dc motor to spool it back on or use your back-up manual crank handle.  Helps having 2 people at the end to provide good resistance on the new spool of cable to wind it on the tightly.  

Then re-terminate the end of your new cable.

You'll be fine powering on the cable.  Just have someone hold the new cable spool tightly with a long screwdriver through the spool and apply some resistance.

I've done it 6 times without issue.

Well I powered the new wire on the downriggers. We went 2/3 with awesome results. One of the downriggers created some"looseness" when I stopped and restarted. I just had my son walk out about 300 feet and I used the emergency hand crank to re spool. That actually went really well. So to me if your comfortable( and two competent guys are doing the process) then power it on . However if your son is helping you use the hand crank. The retrieval is great and took no time at all.

Sent from my XT1254 using Lake Ontario United mobile app