NNY Iraq war veteran in need - UPDATE

I saw this news story on Newzjunky last night and thought I would share it on LOU. I don't know this veteran, but it strikes a chord when I see a fellow veteran struggling to make it in the world. I served 20 years in the Army and when this veteran left the Army there wasn't the types of transition programs that there are today. He has fallen on hard times this year and someone reached out to the local media to get him some help. More often than not, veterans don't ask for help on their own because its the military culture to not show signs of weakness, and asking for help can be viewed as a weakness in some military cultures. Someone set up a go-fund-me page for him, and they reached their goal of $2,000, but his sail boat is washed up on Cherry Island near Chaumont NY and $2,000 won't get him very far. I'm not asking for anyone to donate, but I'll attach the go-fund-me link in case you want to donate. I'm just sharing a story of a local veteran in need. His boat is his home and it's been on the rocks since August. Here is the local news story...

http://www.wwnytv.com/news/local/Iraq-War-Vet-Living-In-Stranded-Boat-On-Lake-Ontario-Island-395889471.html

https://www.gofundme.com/2srbdz84

Mods, if I violated any LOU rules please let me know, as that is not my intent.

Edited by Todd in NY

I've seen guys lose everything and still be afraid to ask for help because of the bad label you might get. It usually depends on the chain of command. I've been in extremely awesome units and I've been in the absolute worst units, and everything in between. I don't know this guy's past but its still a sad story.

Thought I would post an update on this story. After the news broadcast about Andy a bunch of people and businesses stepped up to the plate to help him out. A local excavating company got his boat off the rocks and towed him to a local marina where his boat will be stored for the winter. Here is the follow up story link...

http://www.wwnytv.com/news/local/Stranded-Vets-Boat-Refloated-396169791.html

Billy Bach is great guy and an excellent operator. So pleased he and many others have been able to help Andy in such meaningful ways. The north country is truly a unique and special community providing an exceptional support network for our past and present service members. A beautiful thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

The North Country is indeed a special and unique place, I couldn't agree more. I think that is why so many soldiers who get stationed here end up staying here. Especially those that have their spouses and children here with them. Billy Bach showed how much class he has, doing what he did for Andy. The wind looked like it was really blowing the day they got his boat off those rocks, so that made the recovery that much more challenging. Great job by everyone involved, and everyone who gave what they could, even if it was just sending prayers.

• 1 month later...
The North Country is indeed a special and unique place, I couldn't agree more. I think that is why so many soldiers who get stationed here end up staying here. Especially those that have their spouses and children here with them. Billy Bach showed how much class he has, doing what he did for Andy. This statement is so true about the North Country folks, most all have a heart of gold!! Just like 2 years ago, my lower unit went south, headed towards Galloo Island. Ran the kicker for hours it seemed, to make a story short, a great guy was mowing his yard as he noticed we were in trouble, he motioned me over, asked what's wrong, we told him we think the lower unit let loose as all the linkage is moving but nobody's home down below. We tied off as his dock. He took us to the campground to get our trailer, we went back over and the man hooked his 4wheel drive to our trailer and backed down to the lake, I was so out of breath as I was cranking the winch till half the boat was on the trailer, my uncle was 73, so this gentleman cranked her on the trailer for us and pulled my boat up the steepest incline I ever saw! Damn near a 45* incline, I thought the Ubolt would tear right out the front. This wasn't this mans first rodeo!! He wouldn't take any money, nothing!! A handshake will do. While talking he had an experiance of the same sort. He said 2 Pa. guys towed him in many miles and he felt he screwed the Pa. guys out of a days fishing, I said now wait one minute I would have done the same and those guys who towed him in were Pa. guys and he thought if I could ever return the favor I would he said. I said you know what you just did, we are from Pa. Get the hell out he said, look at our tags on the truck & trailer, the boat, holy shyt I can't believe it he said. Yup you did us a life saver from the tow service bill I would of had on top of my problems yet. We hooked my trailer to my truck and headed back to camp, where I tore the outdrive off to take home for repairs. I hope this man is a member of LOU, if so Thanks Again man. Here's to the north country folks. THANKS GUYS!!!

The North Country is indeed a special and unique place, I couldn't agree more. I think that is why so many soldiers who get stationed here end up staying here. Especially those that have their spouses and children here with them. Billy Bach showed how much class he has, doing what he did for Andy. This statement is so true about the North Country folks, most all have a heart of gold!! Just like 2 years ago, my lower unit went south, headed towards Galloo Island. Ran the kicker for hours it seemed, to make a story short, a great guy was mowing his yard as he noticed we were in trouble, he motioned me over, asked what's wrong, we told him we think the lower unit let loose as all the linkage is moving but nobody's home down below. We tied off as his dock. He took us to the campground to get our trailer, we went back over and the man hooked his 4wheel drive to our trailer and backed down to the lake, I was so out of breath as I was cranking the winch till half the boat was on the trailer, my uncle was 73, so this gentleman cranked her on the trailer for us and pulled my boat up the steepest incline I ever saw! Damn near a 45* incline, I thought the Ubolt would tear right out the front. This wasn't this mans first rodeo!! He wouldn't take any money, nothing!! A handshake will do. While talking he had an experiance of the same sort. He said 2 Pa. guys towed him in many miles and he felt he screwed the Pa. guys out of a days fishing, I said now wait one minute I would have done the same and those guys who towed him in were Pa. guys and he thought if I could ever return the favor I would he said. I said you know what you just did, we are from Pa. Get the hell out he said, look at our tags on the truck & trailer, the boat, holy shyt I can't believe it he said. Yup you did us a life saver from the tow service bill I would of had on top of my problems yet. We hooked my trailer to my truck and headed back to camp, where I tore the outdrive off to take home for repairs. I hope this man is a member of LOU, if so Thanks Again man. Here's to the north country folks. THANKS GUYS!!!

I've seen that kind of hospitality up here more times than I can count. That's one reason why I made this my home!