Kicker Motor Fuel delivery problem

Mower

I put a 5 HP Mercury 4stroke on the back of my 21 foot cuddy and have worked most of the bugs out except for this one problem. After realizing that the 1/2 gallon tank on the unit was only good for 45 mins and not having ample storage for a 3 or 5 gallon portable tank below deck or in a compartment. I tapped into the boats fuel line that runs my i/o. I put a 3 way valve in w/ and a primer bulb and love the idea of just turning a switch and firing up the kicker for hours of trolling. What I am finding in the kicker motor can not keep the fuel lined primed, after 15 mins the engine starts idling down due to lack of fuel. I can quickly prime the bulb and runs fine for 15 mins again. I am assuming the problem lies w/ the valve at the gas tank and it can not pull hard enough to keep that spring loaded ball out so the fuel will run freely. Before I tear into this is there an adjustment to that valve spring so I can pull fuel easier? Any suggestions or other thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Dear Mower,

The check ball is located inside the aluminum colored male hose barb at the fuel tank. IT HAS A PURPOSE!! REQUIRED BY BIA and USCG standards!! It is a SAFETY device and prevents fuel from escaping when there is a down line leak! INSURANCE Adjustors will look for this stuff during a claim. So that's the DISCLAIMER!!

Now, how to solve your problem. (You have found the problem!)...O/B fuel pump has insufficent vacuum to hold the ball open! You may change out this check ball and install a 1/4 turn small gate valve at the fuel tank connection & still meet BIA & USCG requirements. The boat mfg's chose a check valve instead of a shut off valve for ease of install and lower cost. O/B powered boats already have a lower tension spring in the check valve. BUT I have never seen these parts available in my supply chain!

Be extremely carefull doing this work, spilled fuel in the bilge is extremely dangerous! Flash fires and explosions ruin your boat and your day!

Jet Boat Bill