Dipsey rods

mbass

I am by far no expert but in my opinion................I like a 10' medium heavy rod.... Gander Guide series makes a decent one for $30. As for line I would use either wire (for extra depth) or braided, you need to have something that wont stretch like mono. either way you should go greater than 20#.

My diver rods of preference are 9'6" Daiwa Heartland's Downrigger/Dipsy rods...I really like the soft bend through-out the whole rod which helps me feel that fish better and it's more forgiving with a good amount of flex...

I dont know what you want to spool with but if your fishing less than 40' or so down 25 or 30 pound mono would be fine...If you want to get deeper, than your looking for wire in 30 pound as I find I use my braid and mono diver's pretty much a like to fish high and wires low...

Your 500 Tek's will be fine for braid or mono but I am not sure if they'll hold 1,000 foot spool of 30 pound wire...I know the 600's will take a full 1,000 and than some but I can only speculate that your reels will hold the 1,000' spool...

I have a pretty good knowledge of dipsey rods. This year I broke one of my favorite St. Croix dipsey rods (10 ft M/H) I called St. Croix and gave them the model #. The guy said "Holy cow we stopped making that rod 14 years ago." There is something to be said about the St. Croix rods. Anyway I used some 10 m/h Uglies for a while and I really didn't like them. I have since went to the Okuma 10ft M/H dipsey rods(Not the wire rods, just the plain ole dipsey rods) The action on the Okumas was pretty much the same as the St. Croixs. I like a little more limber rod on my wire set ups, and the Okumas fit the bill. I am totally satisfied with them.....

Hey guys, Thanks for the input. I didn't know okuma made trolling rods.Ill have to check them out .I have used the Diawa heartland b-4 on a charter I used to go out on but I couldn't remember if they were used for riggers or dipseys. I have also looked at the Shimano talora. I purchased 2 of these for rigging, nice flex in the rod but with some backbone at the butt section. This is all new to me shure is a lot to learn, but thats part of the fun. Guess I rather sound stupid here than look stupid on the water!!