Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
13usedparts

Omc steering problem. Back for more Help

Ok guys as most of you know I'm trying to set up my first lake boat. I have gotten a ton of help from everyone. Well my newest dalema is my OMC inboard steering problem. Ok I am converting my cable steer with hydraulic assist steering to hydraulic. My omc has power steering assist. When my engine is not running it is impossible to tern the helm. I thought to myself it's because of the power assist. So tonight I unhooked the cable steer and the power assist cylinder. My problem is I can not move the lever arm that the power assist cylinder was hooked up to. I even put a pair of vis grips on the arm to make it longer still could not budge it, in either direction. My question is shouldn't I be able to move this arm back and forth freely in return it should turn the rudder on the outside of the boat. I almost forgot my out drive is a omc also from what I was told. I just don't think it's right. Has anyone ever experienced this . What my Hope's are is to eliminate the power assist steering, install the hydraulic steer cylinder and my new auto pilot. I was also told by one of you guys on this sight that they have done this same thing before on a boat and it worked successfully with no problems. Maybe I'm just worried for no reason at all. If I had the hydraulic steering I would just hook it up. But I'm afraid to order it at 900 big ones until I'm sure it will work. Any input would help.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

It definitely looks like an OMC to me. I have had 2 boats now with omc outdrives, my parents have one now and that's different yet. I had to look up what engine I had to determine the model outdrive. I cannot assist you with the steering, I left mine cable hydro assist.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Lake Ontario United mobile app