Sandy Creek Pen Rearing Updated (again)

Recieved this email last night from the Sandy Creek pen rearing coordinator Bob Holden.

The DEC is ahead of schedule and wants us to recieve our fish early so it changes our schedule completely.

Volunteers needed:

If you can volunteer for one of these activities please respond to this

email or give me a call on my cell phone (585)507-0303

We will need a few volunteers this Sunday at 2:00pm March 29th to help the

Boyscouts assemble the pens.

Thursday April 2nd at 12:30pm we will need at least 3 volunteers to meet the

DEC stocking truck at the public boat launch for assistance in the direct

stock and then for assistance at the marina in the stocking of our pens.

We need to develop a plan to move the pens from the docks to the main creek

channel. Thursday evening????? I am open to suggestions on this one.

I will start circulating a revised feeding schedule list in my next email.

Sorry for the short notice but I just got the call and email....... The DEC

promised we would be the first to get the fish this year and they delivered

:)

Thank you, thank you

Bob H

On Thursday the DEC will be delivering the fish to our site. The schedule calls for the DEC to do a direct stocking of steelhead at 12:30pm at the Sandy Creek public boat launch. After the direct stocking the DEC truck will drive over to the Sandy Creek marina and fill our pens. Usually we need 3 or 4 volunteers to help the DEC truck with their pipes and tank equipment. The response has been fantastic and we at least 5 people scheduled so far. It is a fun process to watch so all are welcome to attend.

Thursday evening between 4:30 and 5:00pm the Boy Scouts will be onsite to move the pens from the marina to the main creek channel. The scouts are a big asset as they use their canoes to guide the pens through the marina waterway to the creek.

After this we will start our feeding schedules. Feedings will be at 8:00am, 10:00am, 12:00pm, 2:00pm, 4:00pm, and 6:00pm. SUNY Brockport College usually does the 10:00am feedings and they help us with pen maintenance. Instructions for feeding the procedures and observation tasks are posted near the pens.

So far Thursday April 2nd our feeding schedules are full, Friday the available slots are 4:00pm and 6:00pm and the rest of the days are totally open. If you have a time in mind to feed the fish anyone can email me at anytime and your designated times to the lists.

We had a great group of volunteers at the Marina this morning as we moved the pens from their storage area to the marina. This afternoon (Sunday 2:00pm)the Boy Scouts will be assembling the pens. We will also be moving the floating dock out of the marina waterway into the Sandy Creek Channel. We will be securing the dock on its moorings and will have to install a set of stairs for the steps. So there are plenty of volunteer opportunities this afternoon.

I will start circulating feeding schedules this evening.

Thank you to everyone involved

Here is a picture I took today of the Boy Scouts, fathers, troop leaders and other helpers after we had finished attaching the nets to the pens :yes::clap: Not the best of weather but at least it stopped raining as we got started :clap:

Bring on the babies :yes: next year there will be 2 more pens and a lot more fish including kings :yes:

From all of us fishermen THANKS GO OUT TO THE BOY SCOUTS AND EVERYONE ELSE THAT HELPED :yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes:

Photo0314.jpg