Jump to content

Gator

Professional
  • Posts

    3,010
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Gator

  1. Didn't even think of that. I've been a pro member since forever and don't see them. Ads suck. Ad blockers work well though. I use AdGuard.
  2. Nope. No ads or popups at all. I didn't even realize that could happen with Tactacam.
  3. Is that $300 each or $300 for all three? Just wondering if you mistyped. Thx.
  4. If the BS allele ("Big Spawner") is becoming less prevalent over time, then there must be some form of negative selection or alternatively positive selection for earlier maturation. Which equates to either spawning success, developmental advantages, or survival. I do believe that smaller fish have a better chance of running the gauntlet, but then again, those boxes of big kings on the lake can't help either. Do the Salmon River Hatchery personnel keep track of the size of the fish that they collect from? Personally, we keep smaller fish in the 10-15 lb range because they smoke better, but Facebook is rampant with coolers of big kings. However, all things being equal, I'm not sure that the lake harvest is disproportionately impacting the size distribution in a way that will skew spawning. It's complicated. And undoubtedly a combination of genetics, adaptation, and environmental factors. But it certainly seems as if the move from stocking to natural reproduction has paralleled the size shift. It's tough to propose what is certain to be an unpopular strategy without solid evidence supporting its efficacy.
  5. I remember the '80s too. We were chartering at that point as I was growing up down in Bath, but the size of the kings was amazing. Unfortunately, the history of nearly every fishery where a new species is established in a prime environment suggests that this type of size is unsustainable. I don't believe that there is any possibility of our returning to those glory days. However, that isn't to say that we can't balance size and numbers with a measured approach. I like Brian's idea of stocking some triploid fish - at least it would allow us to distinguish between the role of genetics versus environment on king size. The triploid population would need to be genetically distinct, optimally a throwback to the original strain, and since they're sterile, they wouldn't interfere with our naturalized strain. That having been said, there's a fair amount of data indicating that triploid fish are generally inferior to diploids, but it's worth a try. I suspect LO fishermen would gladly help to survey their catch and provide data if it meant even a remote possibility for 40 lb salmon again. At the very least, it would look like DEC was listening to the stakeholders...
  6. When the folks at Gander Mountain broke my very first bow, a Browning Accelerator Plus, the provided me recompense in the form of a gift certificate that I used to purchase a Parker Ultralight. It was and is still to date the bow that I shot most accurately. As my buddy Paul said, I could "shoot the 'nads off a gnat" with it. Dang, I miss that bow. The Elite and Hoyt bows I've shot since then are great, but there was something about that Parker. Good luck selling this. Somebody's going to get themselves a sweet shooter.
  7. Heck yeah somebody will do it. I'd guess that whatever AI model DEC uses to calculate the actual harvest will incorporate that lol. But most of us will play by the rules. Too many tasty doe around anyway.
  8. Sweet setup! It's going to make somebody very happy.
  9. It is known, Khaleesi. It's also known that you need to EITHER keep the head for seven days OR take a digital photo of the head to show that it was an antlerless animal and retain it for seven days. If you did neither but took the doe to a processor, you would need to provide the processor's contact information ONLY IF asked by DEC (sorry for the shouting). None of these measures requires submitting any documentation to the State, at least as of this year. There are plans to adopt a digital photo submission option into the HuntFishNY app in the future.
  10. I'd be interested in an electric reel that shocks the guy on the rod if he screws up!
  11. Just as an interesting aside, anyone who's fished Alaska recently appreciates that the over stocking and abundance of pinks has led to their spawning runs occurring every year rather than every two years and has negatively impacted returns on most other salmonids. Driven by money, of course. They were so prolific that it was almost impossible to drift fish without hooking them. They'd be finning in the current break caused by your legs as you were wading. What a nuisance.
  12. While I wish that were true, I see that a news story just broke this morning claiming Google Maps has renamed our Lady O as Lake America. SHAME, SHAME.
  13. I'm also a huge proponent of nuclear. And while I loathe industrial solar, the home grown variety - personal solar for your house - seems to me to make lots of sense. Admittedly, I don't know much about the emerging microreactor technology, but I'm told that I'm teachable, so I will take a look.
  14. The biggest fish of the day always comes on copper for us, but as I said when we spoke this week, long coppers get run during tournaments. The rest of the time, if it's even in the water, and it usually isn't, we end up trying to get somebody else to grab the rod when it goes off. I guess if I was thirty rather than sixty it might be different. Might not, too lol. Shattered, what size weight are you running, and how far up? I have them up to 12 oz, but was uncertain whether I really wanted to attach them to the copper itself, and putting them above it then letting out even more line seems counterproductive.
  15. A very savvy and read-in buddy of mine already cornered many of the domain names surrounding Lake of America just to prevent such a thing from happening. Not that Chad would ever even consider it. Despite my referring to Canada as Canuckistan lol, it would be a SHAME to piss off our over-the-border friends and fellow anglers over a political stunt.
  16. C'mon, Billy. Discontent with Trump doesn't equal anti-American. The far right AND the far left attempt to separate us, when we have so many shared values...and I know you are better than that.
  17. So the acronym to remember the Great Lakes names "HOMES" becomes "SHAME". That feels right.
  18. Prior to the advent of the lithium probes, I had multiple failures - and FH replaced each of them without question. I suspect that they recognized there was an existing issue. However, each of the probes that they sent to replace the defective probes themselves failed, sometimes within months. Ultimately, I ended up purchasing the new lithium probe, thinking that the issues might be power-related as the probes failed completely. Now, after about two years, I've had my lithium probe start to act up. It's been losing signal, with one of the three readings going haywire about every other update. I sent multiple videos to a FH customer service representative Mario. Since this isn't my first rodeo, I went through all the normal troubleshooting prior to contacting him, but of course he didn't know that, so it took a few interactions. Ultimately, he asked me to send the unit back. We agreed that I could wait until after the season to do so, because having something on board to measure speed and temp is better than having nothing. I have no idea whether they will honor the warrantee, as I was literally at the very end of the two year mark when I contacted him earlier in the summer, but I do know that a $500 piece of equipment is not a consumable. Fingers crossed. Sigh.
  19. We spent several years vacationing near where you will be staying, mainly in July, when my daughter was young. My best luck was with the smallmouth, particularly in the evening. There are quite a few inlets on the Northwest side that have great contours held bass all day, but toward dusk it seems like the shorelines in that area came alive. If you have sideview or perspective view sonar, you might try to find the rockpiles and old rock walls that extend into the lake. Those are real hotspots. But even blind casting topwater toward shore at dark is also productive. I had a 16.5 foot Lund at the time and had no issues, and this part of the lake is narrower so didn't seem to be impacted as much by the wind as the wide open shallower Southern portion. Unfortunately, we didn't really dunk worms with the kid, so no advice there. I'm guessing since you're in the deep part of the lake that the fish should be there this time of year. Good luck!
  20. I recall finding a patch like that off Braddock's years ago in 200 feet. My buddies referred to it a a "barbed wire fence"...and it was just like you describe, fish after fish after fish. I suspect the lack of 2 year olds is due to the staging conditions. We also haven't seen as many young fish this year, but did run into them last weekend offshore further, and Brian said the offshore guys were pounding them earlier in the year. I hope they're plentiful and ready to rumble next year!
  21. We had an academic research vessel operated by University of Minnesota, Duluth, "Blue Heron", pass by us this morning in 100' off Sandy. It's a National Oceanographic Laboratory System boat.
  22. Why would you say that? The posting looks like it's from a legitimate member who's posted previously, albeit infrequently, over the course of a few years. The pick up location is local. I don't see any red flags.
  23. That's exactly what we found seven miles to your East. The temps got strange over the last few days - there was a break from 75 to 60 degrees, then it just stayed at 60 forever on the inside. We had to get deeper to find the 47 degree break, and when we did, rods started popping. It was strange to see what looked like the best screen of the year inside, but to experience such a slow bite until we got outside of 220. This year, with the wind blowing from all different directions and the incessant rain, it seems like the fishing had changed on a daily basis. One other thing I noticed is that we started seeing significant numbers of smaller 2 year old kings in the mix, finally. I'm sure today will be something different.
  24. This sounds like a very odd experience. Fishing for browns when the king bite is on fire? Strange choice. And simply reeling the fish in, as if there's no fight? That sounds like walleye fishing to me lol. Anyway, all of the above, ditto - I wouldn't expect a captain to routinely let new clients set rods, and maybe they'd even be reluctant to let them set the hook on a strike (particularly on a slow day where every bite counts), but reeling the fish in most of the way is unheard of. I know there's some captains who fill a limit as quickly as possible, but it's not grocery shopping (unless you're fishing walleye, again lol). I'd ALWAYS talk to a captain about their philosophy and your expectations prior to booking.
×
×
  • Create New...