Jump to content

Sk8man

Professional
  • Posts

    13,929
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Sk8man

  1. i know this doesn't address the issue itself but I had initially considered hooking up my 4 stroke kicker to my main 60 gal. gas tank but the more I thought about it I decided to just go with a separate straight hookup in case for some reason the gas in the main tank became compromised in some way or the main tank itself or hose etc.malfunctioned in some way for safety reasons rather than pure convenience. That way if one or the other became a problem I could still get back home....call me a little paranoid but it seems that in the past anytime I have had some sort of problem out there the weather was turning bad etc. and that is when mechanical things tend to go bad....
  2. There may be a downside later on to the eating of the gobies though as they are bottom dwellers/feeders and that is where many of the environmental contaminants exist so the eventual assimilation of them maybe end up in the fish eating them. I believe they also can harbor botulism from what I have read.....always something...
  3. One of the factors that may affect things is when someone has a CHIRP depth finder because the frequency range coverage of it could include the 70 khz frequency and this could occur regardless of the transducer placement; especially on smaller boat hulls (than say an ocean liner).
  4. I don't doubt it.....I saw 37 something too but I was trying to be optimistic when I said 38
  5. WTG Rick Nice looking fish and obviously happy customers
  6. Congratulations Mark. I've fished from 21's and 24's and Prolines are good boats. The important thing is getting something you are happy with and have faith in out there The Etec motors purr like a kitten and are really good on gas compared with a lot of other motors.
  7. Water temp was 38 degrees a couple days ago Canandaigua Lake 40 degrees outside right now
  8. Good one Andy....you have a lot of company too
  9. Yep I just found out about it just as you posted. Thanks. I'll delete it.
  10. As mentioned above Hank at L and M in Port Bay would be very high on the list as well so you have some very capable options without needing to go way out of your way.
  11. By the way folks if any of you need prop work done the folks at the Prop Works here in Canandaigua are the best around and are great people to do business with.... http://thepropellerworks.com/
  12. Good luck with it either way Steve.
  13. Too bad this thread can't be sent to a responsible legislator. Obviously there is a real problem there that needs to be corrected. It is unfortunate that it seems to take threatened or activated lawsuits after injuries to get attention and correction to things like this now days.
  14. I remember getting aboard one just like that back in 87-88 (yr corrected due to typo) at Nausett Marine on Cape Cod as I looked at the all the Whaler models every year there. I think they probably had to clean up the drool after I left
  15. Barrett Marine is the one just outside Geneva New York on the old Waterloo Road. Fran Barrett owns it and he knows Mercs inside and out , has a large parts inventory, and is honest as the day is long and they do excellent work there. Barrett Marine 485 West River Road Waterloo, New York 13165 315-789-6605 or 1-800-924-8940 Fax: 315-781-2401 E-mail: [email protected]
  16. I'm with you on that 91 ice storm. We were without power for 5 days in that damp March cold and frozen everything....sure don't look forward to doing it again anytime soon
  17. Pretty neat idea
  18. Only hooked up to deep cycle type batteries or can you use with starting batteries as well?
  19. Bill Ryan you have a personal message (PM)
  20. Cool!
  21. Hey Aaron - Do you have to protect those panels in any way from this ice crap today? or are they pretty resilient to weather?
  22. Those were some really fun times....I used to get so excited the night before I couldn't get to sleep at all so I just rigged equipment and sharpened all my hooks all night and about half way through the day I was burned out. Spent a few days sitting on the tailgate of my F150 on Grieg Street in Sodus Point drinking a beer and BSing with other fishermen because the wind was so bad we couldn't get out in my 13 ft boat. I still laugh when I remember a comment made by one of the guys at the Point when he observed my buddy who was about 6 ft 5 standing up in my little boat.... he said" Geez you should just hook a sail to him and you wouldn't even need a trolling motor"
  23. Some really good info in the above posts to pay clase attention to.... You mentioned the safety issue and it is not only important but could be critical. You also mentioned being able to "get away" with the 6 hp. Having the trolling motor is dual purpose: a) safety considerations, and b) being able to troll over a range of speeds economically in lieu of using your main motor. Although you may be able to "get away" with the 6 hp single cylinder motor under relatively calm conditions whether on Lake O or one of the larger Finger Lakes to push your boat it should be considered "marginal" in terms of safely when responding to perhaps unexpected untoward conditions which involve wind and waves; both of which can relatively easily overpower a "marginal" horse powered motor regardless of the size of the craft. Many of us who have been out there in adverse conditions have a very healthy respect for these bodies of water. One of the main things is that you can never fully or accurately predict Mother Nature (or her wrath). This is one issue where you want to be very sure of your choice and not jump the gun.Even new motors can fail out there and depending on a single cylinder marginally powered motor can be risky. The other thing is that usually things follow Murphy's law out there and the failures of motors and batteries and the onset of problems and the things you have to depend on seem to occur right at the wrong times and frequently when there isn't help available and with fast approaching adverse weather. When this happens and your main motor goes out and you are facing 12 ft waves you'd be wishing you had the biggest motor possible. Marginal motors may be good trolling with the waves or wind but struggle to keep their path going agaainst it. Suggestion: Bite the bullet for an 8 or 9.9 hp motor OR wait to get a motor and save up for it rather than being disappointed in your choice after reality strikes
×
×
  • Create New...