Jump to content

Sk8man

Professional
  • Posts

    13,929
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Sk8man

  1. Sounds as though you gave it a heck of a try anyway Mike. Lets hope this lack of action for matures is a delay of some type......oh wait....did I forget to take my medication today?
  2. I've used them for about the last three or four years and love them Rod. I seldom use the dozen or more other Luhr Jensen's anymore.
  3. Nick I know current can raise h with dipseys but without much here on Canandaigua the other day I was running my 124 mm Deeper Divers out 160 on a 1 setting and hitting bottom in 84 ft of water at 2.4 I don't think they can be beat for deeper setups. In the past I have hit bottom in 151 ft with a setting of 0 with 350 out at 2.3
  4. Wondering if the missed shots were just little aggressive outbursts rather than actual feeding or lure speed maybe a factor? Either way doesn't seem very encouraging out there. I sure hate being relegated to being an "arm chair"i fisherman though
  5. Thanks Ed. Poor Hank.... guess ya can't get away with anything these days
  6. Good luck Jeff. From the sound of things it has been VERY slow all over out there.
  7. So that was when a bunch of LOU guys met at Bass Pro a while back? Sorry I missed that one....good thing the roof was high Mark
  8. Good suggestion They make both an automotive and marine version of the jumper pack by the way. They also make combination deep cycle /starting batteries.... I have one and run my electronics and downriggers straight off it and seldom have to charge it. I have a battery condition monitoring indicator on it too which makes it easier to tell the condition.
  9. Alex take a look at what the Bloodrun tech guys said on their website about the TX22's and they are not adjustable like the walleye boards and don't run as well with some of the things folks may prefer to run with boards. I thought at first the TX 44's were "the nuts" for everything until I ran the walleye boards but now only use them (TX44's) for real heavy stuff. I can run my 275 coppers and 10 color from the walleye boards.
  10. Pay attention to the top end RPM range for the pitch as you can really overheat your motor if you go too far above it
  11. Kev you have a PM
  12. Gator is right. The nice thing about the walleye boards is you can adjust the bottom weights on them according to whatever you are running in back of them.....very flexible. I have both TX44's and even two sets of the walleye version as they are small and convenient. Iused to use the big boards but these inlines are much more convenient and store much easier
  13. Go get them Nick and Theresa! .At least the channel looks inviting
  14. I'm 6' and 205 Mark.....not real petite
  15. Window sash weights (the smaller ones) are what the old timers used for Seth Green rig weights and even the more modern sinkers have largely retained that shape for the very reasons you mention.
  16. HI Mark, I have an inflatable but never wear it.... still in the package. I fish a lot in the crap weather and one of my buddies inflatable actually inflated in the rain so I said screw it. I have two of the Cabela's type wearables and they are indeed very comfy and well worth having in my opinion. I have a lot of conventional ones on board too but only wear these because they don't restrict movement.
  17. Thanks guys.....still kinda whipped today though....I had to wear a bunch of hats yesterday and running 8 lines and helping with steering "corrections" (no autopilot) and ....oh yes I forgot to mention the largest weed pod I've ever seen just after the lines were set I think steering the boat was the highest on their list......or it could been all the snacks
  18. Just recently I was VERY glad I had a second battery when an apparently loose connection someplace seemed as though my main battery was dead. The middle of the lake is not a great place to sort out battery problems and in many areas towing is unavailable......something to think about. I think I would consider creating a place for a second battery if it were me.
  19. Nice going John
  20. As always from these two guys very valuable and needed advice.
  21. I'm feeling better Sean if you can't do it nobody can
  22. I took a set of identical twins from Rochester out on Canandaigua today for their first time in a boat or fishing for that matter. It was one of the slowest days I've ever had but they ate it up and had a great time despite the slow action..... and they didn't give up on me. We ran 3 downriggers 2 of them with sliders and one with a 1 core secret weapon rig and two lead cores (5 and 10 color) and 2 coppers (250 and 275) a wire dipsey rig and trolled from 7 AM until 2 PM with one small rainbow that spit the hook right when we reached the leader on the 275 copper and jumped (so we at least got a look) and one 3 lb laker on the wire rig/green spinney and fly. I think the pics tell a better story though....as I said ....the fish doesn't always have to be big to be fun I also had a fun mess of two leadcores that came together....nice practice with the knife I guess
  23. It is almost human nature to try to figure out problems by attributing a single cause to it but in most cases many different factors may be involved and/or interact to either create or make the problem worse. This situation is probably one of those cases. The bass fishing has deteriorated in many of the lakes in NYS during the past few years not just lake O and the causative factors are not easily identifiable and some of these places don't have known goby infestations. This is not to say the gobies aren't part of the equation on Lake O but in terms of the larger picture things like two tough winters back to back may be involved or other sensitivities of the species or viral problems relating to die offs etc. All these invasive species are having SOME effect on the fishery and crashes in the zooplankton populations relating to the zebras straining them in shallow and the Quaggas doing it out deeper aren't helping either. When you knock out a lower level in the food chain (especially those that impact the young of the species) and introduce predatory invasive species as well it sets u a complex problem and I believe that is what we have here and I don't think the biologists have a sufficient understanding of it or even have identified all the "players" yet in terms of invasive species and their habits or effects on the fishery. Gobies are also often found in the stomach contents of smallmouth bass.
  24. Geez....I guess maybe we shouldn't complain so much about the fishing equipment prices anymore
×
×
  • Create New...