Jump to content

Sk8man

Professional
  • Posts

    13,929
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Sk8man

  1. That is about as good as it gets solo or not great fish and a great memory I'm sure for a longtime to come.
  2. WTG Justin. Glad to see you finally got to experience the "addiction" with a good one to show for it. Nothing like a good king on the end of your line to get the adrenaline pumping.
  3. I must say you folks really know how to "live it up" Nick and get the most out of your time spent here......I love every one of those "sides" at the Dino and those ribs are to die for
  4. I'd put a SOLID RING high quality #3 or larger ball bearing swivel. It doesn't have to be small as in a terminal connection to a spoon You want some strength at that one
  5. Atlantic for sure. We were marking what fish we saw in 80-95 ft yesterday and could only get a couple to hit both in 90 and down probably 70...one was definitely a big king (the snap-off) I'd be working below the 100 ft real good and maybe something like t J-plugs staggered too. A lot of times in there they are mistaken for lakers.
  6. WTG John! They are real nice specimens
  7. Oh no....I was hoping nobody would ask that well it was a lesson and although I knew better... I took one of my rigs that I use on the Finger Lakes with 150 yds of 50 lb Power Pro Spectra as backing for the 30 lb copper. I thought I could get away with it but with 6 rods out (including two coppers) it is a lot different than the old days with just a few rods to clear if you had to and it was rough water besides going into the waves so you are stuck with what you have out.....therein lies the problem for those of you who haven't "been there done that" when you have a few hundred yards of mono on a downrigger reel and even 100 ft out it is VERY different than having out 350 ft ( or 600 for some) of copper out already and then you rely on the backing on your reel for whatever the fish decides to run with. This particular king took line and never stopped (at all) When my son said "hey dad I can see the metal on the spool" I tried to put on the brakes a bit for him and at that instant the (lighter than I should have had 20 lb fluoro leader snapped like thread. Ys I was the guy who a little while back said on here "I've never been spooled even with 12 lb line" but that was based on a high capacity downrigger reel and being able to take up lines quickly if necessary and use the boat as a weapon. . All these problems came together in seconds and a fast becoming zero line with a very angry fish on the other end of that line is a bit unnerving and forms the basis of an instant education about what to do next time Pay attention to the Boy Scout motto: Be Prepared
  8. I fished near Nick and Theresa for a while this morning and believe me they EARNED their fish. It was very slow and Mark and I had only 2 hits from 7:30 AM till 3PM with 6 rods out. One unbuttoned on the wire and the other is probably now living in Oswego with our spoon after nearly spooling us on the 350 copper and snapping the fluoro leader. The high point of the day was chatting with Nick and Theresa at Arney's afterward
  9. Heading for Sodus in a few to give it a whirl. Rod I feel the same way about the bait situation and Vince has repeatedly made great points about the bait situation that I feel are right on target. Good luck to you other "die hards" going this AM
  10. Rod I actually was just kind of thinking out loud when I wrote what you quoted and I'm fishing Sodus in the AM as I have since 1975 and my son is going with me so I sure haven't given up on fishing or specifically fishing there either.. I agree with nearly everything you said and I certainly didn't mean to turn anyone off to fishing or in any way impact business of any sort as this sport means very much to me as I know it does to you. I also have a real feel for Nick's view on this as it relates to Sodus and I believe his perception is valid as well. Of late I have only been fishing Sodus and Hughes and not way west where I used to fish so I also understand it is a small sample size of the lake especially considering that it is also only the south shore as well. I do know however that during the mid to late eighties and during the first part of the nineties the fishing was way beyond what it is today in that area and the fishing techniques were quite primitive and potentially less productive by today's standards too. I think that is why I am unsure about the status of things right now out there and why I said what I said (which was related to Sodus basically). We all love to think about the high points in life and may even want them to all be that way but realistically these levels of available fish have always been cyclical and for a variety of reasons and some not having anything to do with man's interaction with the environment or ability to control things through either actions or "policies" or stocking plans. The serious fishermen will not be deterred by these ups and downs and businesses are always subject to the whims and cycles of hobbies or sports popularity. plecos4sale - It is very gratifying to see young ladies manning the rods and especially since they are at an age where they have already discovered boys and all the other "life distractions" WTG
  11. Poor Kinger....having to walk the plank just for some scratches
  12. I doubt it but needs a different electronics board too. I'd call the guys at Fish307.com ( get the number from their website. They stock a lot of Cannon downrigger parts etc. and should know the correct answer.
  13. I've been hoping that things are just running late but at this point I wouldn't be betting my house on it.....just can't help but think that a year class or two may have been decimated by whatever means and at this point in the season there certainly have been much better results for sure.
  14. Probably a great white mistook him for a seal with all that fur
  15. Mark you have to write Obama he owns it right now
  16. I know this will probably earn me a "wuss" label but whats the status of the bugs and fleas at Sodus today Nick?
  17. Hoping to give it a try out of Sodus tomorrow morning so I hope things start to pick up sooooon
  18. Geez.....if they get all of them it would take away a main source of fun for me.....making two of every one that comes into the boat
  19. They are right need to get them away from the other stuff except if running in chute (carefully). Last time out I donated a 275 copper (new wire) to the scrap pile running too close
  20. Cool reports guys. I'm sitting here at the St. Regis in DC and feeling a strong urge to be fishing and you guys don't help supressing it Hoping to get out someplace tomorrow AM depending on weather there. Glad Seneca offers good option now.
  21. Very cool David. Those are the memories that last a lifetime for all concerned.
×
×
  • Create New...