-
Posts
13,929 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Profiles
Forums
Events
Gallery
Store
Everything posted by Sk8man
-
Sodus 6/26-6/27
Sk8man replied to skeletonfish's topic in New York Fishing Reports - Lake Ontario (South Shore)
-
The search for "Seneca Gold" is sort of like prospecting for real gold and the locations of the "mines" are hard to come by from veteran local fishermen. This time of year and given where you are launching from I'd say try right in Glass Factory Bay just to the north of Roy's (near where the Geneva Country Club is) and start out in 15 -20 ft of water and drift around looking for them. Go deeper if you can't locate them in shallow. They can be anywhere this time of year. Softshell crabs (expensive if you can even find them use half at a time) or small grass crabs, left over spikes or fat head minnows usually work either on small jigs or just with usual double hook and line set ups with sinker at bottom. depending on wind/wave conditions can either drift for them or try to locate and then anchor away from them and cast back into them. They spook easily in the clear water and shallow and electric trolling motors can help. Good luck.
-
Fair Haven fishing
Sk8man replied to Playin Hookey's topic in New York Fishing Reports - Lake Ontario (South Shore)
-
Have You Been Spooled? Here's a tip to stop it.
Sk8man replied to WillCFish's topic in Tackle and Techniques
-
Any Honeoye and Silver Lake advisories?
Sk8man replied to tbulhead's topic in Finger Lakes Discussion
Yeah and don't be anywhere near the water on weekends at night because there are a lot of drunks running at full speed without lights (seriously) -
Lake Ontario Colder Than Michigan & Huron This Year
Sk8man replied to ut_falcon's topic in Open Lake Discussion
Lake Superior has the greatest average depth -
-
They are productive spoons with very durable and creative paint jobs and both sizes work well on Lake O.You might want to get some of both sizes. If you are looking for greater selection or variety in spoon action and shape as well as good durable paint consider also Great lakes Lures which have been highly effective for me in both the Finger Lakes and Lake O. They are both high quality spoons by local guys and they deserve our support.
-
I don't truly pretend to know why any of these things work but after being able to fool them somehow you keep doing whatever works. Colors are a good example of this.....who knows for sure whether fish (trout and salmon in particular ) actually distinguish between specific colors but when you catch one you send it back down to hopefully catch another on that same spoon or fly or stick and if you do you assume that it was the color that did the trick. Problem is it may have been that particular spoon or its action or its proximity to that particular fish (or many other variables) that accounted for the success. We make a lot of assumptions in this "game" and some of them may not be true some or all of the time. Some of the things are kind of like human "superstitious" behavior too. The lure manufacturers are masters at creating this illusion and I am a prime example of someone who has fallen for it time and again
-
It really isn't mainly as much a question of enough action it is more of the "right action". The attractor serves the main purpose of the "action" part of things (e.g. making a commotion in the water) so once you have the fishes attention he needs to be fooled into thinking he has something "vulnerable" or "wounded" that appears to be a meal. Sometimes scent helps this along considerably too.
-
Mark makes a real good point in differentiating between a "spin" and a roll or "corkscrew". He is correct in his terminology and it is specifically what I meant and an important distinction . If the bait is truly "spinning" it usually doesn't work properly. The bend determines the way it comes through the water and it often takes some experimenting to get it right and it appears "wounded" rather than just spinning in a rhythm behind the attractor.
-
Rochester 6/27
Sk8man replied to Missdemeanor's topic in New York Fishing Reports - Lake Ontario (South Shore)
-
Where R the Fish!
Sk8man replied to Titan001's topic in Ontario, CA Fishing Reports - Lake Ontario (North Shore)
I think there are some previous threads on here that discuss some of the points you mention in detail. There are a number of fishermen that think there is too much bait in Lake O right now. Chinook salmon are pretty much the apex predator in Lake O right now and they are real good at getting enough to eat . The life span for lakers may be 30 plus years from what I've heard. They are a native cold water species whereas the chinook are much more of a warmer water species in their native habitat. In general colder water species usually have a slower growth rate and longer life spans than warm water species with higher growth rates although there are exceptions to that (e.g. sharks etc.). The situation of the Atlantics is a much more complicated puzzle than food sources and even the fisheries departments on both sides of the pond don't fully understand it although they have some ideas about what might be going on (e.g. spawning problems, stream access, competition factors etc. etc.). In any case it may not be just one thing but a whole complex of issues. Just my take on it others may have other views and points. As far as the fishing goes it is always off and on and June is traditionally a tough month for fishing before and while the temps are setting up. Depending on where you fish there have been some good salmon and steelie fishing results (and lakers) again "off and on" and locating the fish is nearly always at the heart of it. The next few weeks may tell more of the story when the thermocline and water temperatures fully set up. -
I still fish solo a lot and in days past I used to even winter fish on Seneca Lake with a snowmobile suit and heavy boots in the middle of snow storms (much younger and more foolish) without a life jacket. Then during the mid to late eighties one of my buddies who was a charter captain went out solo there during the summer and I was the last guy to talk with him at the launch ramp. His empty boat was found washed up near shore hours later. We searched for him for many hours unsuccessfully that day and he was found in 8 ft of water the next day by divers and reportedly his zipper was down. It was a real lesson for me and something that haunts me to this day. The way i look at it now is even if something happens out there you have a "chance" and at least if things went really bad they would find you so that your family would have some closure.....The not knowing would be horrible for family.
-
It really wasn't for any "scientific" reason I just felt it was a little too big and bulky and liked the looks of a forked tail instead. Kind of like a "lady" thing I guess I went for form over function . The main purpose of the meat head is to control the line with the hooks on it so it can be adjusted (cinched up or loosened). The main thing you want (as in with actual bait) is not necessarily "turbulence" but rather a spinning of the bait in the water behind the flasher or cowbells and that is the purpose of the stiff copper wire inside. You bend it (which in turn bends the bait) to achieve the action you desire. The nice thing about it is that is is quite durable unlike the real baits (which I also still use). I spray the the thing with shad scent (spray bottle found in places like Walmart whose name I hate to mention here but it is convenient for most folks ). The unmodified bodies are also sold there.
-
Wow at least mine (Fishawk) had a depth indicator and a spool winder on it All i remembered in seeing one of those Lowrance units years ago is the slide was on the front and I think the probe line was real light colored and somehow wound around the center? I tried anyway
-
-
Sounds as though one is for "zeroing" and one for up and one for down. Probably all you need is a known (and reliable) temp source to compare with.
-
I made up some a couple years ago and these work good on lakers but I haven't had a chance to test them yet on kings. The bodies come with paddle tails that I modified and cut off the heads of the things to fit in the meat head and they are glued in place. I then inserted a section of copper wire inside them so I can bend them as I wish for action.
-
-
If so, you can roughly calibrate it doing as I suggested above turning the slot screw till it matches the thermometer reading or comparing with a known accurate temperature device and doing so.
-
Haven't seen one in years but I don't remember there being anything to adjust that was visible on it at least to be able to actually change anything. I used to test my old manual Fishawk by getting a mercury thermometer and a plastic pail of water in the sink and then putting both the probe and the thermometer in and gradually adding some warm water and then colder water and compared and they were within a degree or so..worst case is that if you can determine the amount it is off (if constant) you can mentally make the adjustment out on thewater.
-
Wow.....sure makes you scratch your head in disbelief The thing that they are actually supposed to be most concerned about is that really nasty invasive weed that made its way to Cayuga at Ithaca and they are hoping to contain it and hopefully eradicate it while it is somewhat isolated I think. That is a good thing...but as far as the zebras and quaggas etc. it is way too late to do much there. There are some real problems with the launch ramp approach starting with the fact that the "students" are only there during "business hours" When I came back in a 6 PM the other day there was a line of boats waiting to enter the water and the girl had gone home








