Jump to content

Sk8man

Professional
  • Posts

    13,929
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Sk8man

  1. Sk8man

    Seneca New Camp

    WTG Ed ...now I see why you're interested in a hoist
  2. I steer mine with the big motor and don't even bother with the EZ Steer bracket. I fully tilt it up when I'm running high speed with the 135 etc. As you can see my kicker is a long shaft so the prop is close to parallel with the one on the big motor which allows for pretty good steering. With a shorter shaft motor you should still be able to do OK and if located properly yours should be all the way out when you are under power high speed. The other thing to think about is can you reach it to tilt it up without falling out of the boat?
  3. We saw a bunch of them last time fishing Seneca floating int he scum line and weeds
  4. Don't use crimps on copper copper is too soft ....it is primarily used on stranded stainless steel wire. There are many ways to do it but I tie the braid or mono backing to the reel with knot and then for a transition to the copper a Spro #8 power swivel (50 lb test) or the heavy duty inline version swivel (150 lb I think). then another#8 swivel for the fluoro leader to the copper. I just twist the copper a few tight revolutions at that section and tie whatever knot you feel confident in at the leader end and at the swivel as well.I use the clinch knot for them as I have never had one let go but many folks prefer the Palomar or others. Use a high quality SOLID RING ball bearing swivel at the terminal end. Since it won't be on Lake O I'd use good quality fluoro (e.g Seguar ) in about 20 lb test that way you can run most things without fear of breakage and since you aren't up toward the surface with the copper line visibility isn't an issue.
  5. Welcome aboard LOU. There are a lot of good very knowledgeable guys up in that area that I'm sure will help you out with info. Hopefully the action will get hot and heavy and it looks as though things maybe starting up on Lake O so stay tuned
  6. I can't offer any details but I spoke with Ed this AM and he is OK but he still has to iron out insurance issues etc. so he isn't able to discuss details publicly right now. A real serious scare without major injuries so it was real lucky.
  7. I fished Lake O and many other places like the Clyde River and May's Point even as a real young kid for 2 weeks during the summer every year starting in the early 50's with a retired guy who was like a grandfather to me (my own died 2 years before I was born) We mainly fished Sodus Point and Chimney Bluffs and the bay for bass and pike and anything else we could get (Sheeps head, bullheads, catfish, sunnys etc.). I fished the Finger Lakes and streams near there mainly up through 1963 when I went in the military about 1973 or so I started fishing Lake O again on breaks from college etc. and in 1975 first fished for salmon out of Sodus Point. I didn't have a boat yet so went with two friends who were experienced fishing but who had never fished for salmon. After nearly wiping out our prop on the sandbar to the southwest of the channel in the bay we made it out about a couple hundred yards trolling all the way out the channel and one of my friends says I think I'll try this thing (yellow Manistee wobbler which looked like a miniature manta ray to me ). He no longer set the rod in the holder when the drag goes screaming out and he yells" I think I'm snagged on bottom" He instinctively places his thumb on the spool of the reel and all of a sudden the line zips out like there is no tomorrow.....and his thumb actually started smoking from the friction and he dropped the rod with the line still whizzing out. My other buddy picked up the rod and after about a half hour boated a 20 plus king. We had to put cream from the emergency kit on the other friends thumb which had a bunch of skin burned right off it and a couple weeks later he still had it bandaged Lesson #1: "Don't try to "thumb" a king". After seeing that fight and the fish I was hooked on kings and salmon fishing for life and have been doing it ever since including fishing solo in my first boat for steelies and salmon in the shipping lanes far from visible shore where the dingies on the big boats and cargo vessels passing by were ten foot longer than my little 13 ft.Whaler with its two 4 ft boom manual Riveria downriggers In 1982 my son caught his first salmon and it was 32 lbs and on 12 lb test line andf that was his initiation to salmon fishing and one of the best bonding moments a father and son could ever have
  8. I've had my Garelick mount for my 9.9 (about 90 lbs) for 13 years without any problem but I have friends with the OMC adjustable mount that seems really "bullet proof" but they are pricey (if you can find them).
  9. Nice brown and great coloration WTG!
  10. That's great MIke. Ed - Kevin doesn't work there at the boat place but in Canandaigua itself. Really sorry to hear about the accident Ed and I certainly hope all turns out with you and the boat bud...... I know that is your "baby" Ed I think there are also a couple of boat repair places on Rt 96 heading toward Ithaca as well but I know nothing about them.
  11. Nice going John and good to hear you're getting into them
  12. Oh man....that sucks Brian I've donated some rods and equipment over the years too and it isn't a warm fuzzy feeling. Guess it is all part of the game though...it did take me a few days to get over losing 30 Sutton spoons (mostly 44's) tangled up on the guy wires of the naval research barge on Seneca in the old days (60lb stainless wire too requiring wire cutters while my boat was being pulled backwards Good luck with the fishing. Les
  13. Welcome aboard. Here is my setup for not drilling holes for Cannons The first item to the left on the components pic is only needed if you need extra height as it is a pedestal
  14. This is probably why care is needed when hauling in those big lakers
  15. Hey Ed I know it is a bit of a travel but the place Kev mentioned does repair boats and I have never heard anything negative about them.If you get up this way stop in for a beer or coffee. You have my cell # give me a shout.
  16. The really big browns can't resist the small honey bee lures for some reason....sometimes smaller IS better
  17. A six to ten foot section of heavy duty chain attached at the anchor end will help set the anchor into the bottom and assist in keeping the angle of the anchor rope right too not allowing the anchor to slide on bottom. You could get some of the small yellow and red colored plastic anchor line buoys to attach to the visible section of the anchor line above surface at the boat end
  18. I believe the auto stop board has three connectors vs. the one with out only having two wire connectors
  19. I had the same thought as Jason...is is a pretty common situation in older boats (bellows).
  20. WTG Mike and nice report and pics along with a good box of fish. Lets hope things will keep taking off on Seneca.....can't wait for the Fall fishing and flea decline with decreased water temps. Congrats on the results!
  21. I do exactly as Chris does and have done it for many many years and have never caught another downrigger or other equipment with it only occasional winding up the main line and cleared as Chris stated. I do more fishing these days on the Finger Lakes where the currents can be somewhat different too and the kings aren't a factor etc. but I'd say about 1/3 or more of my rainbows ,browns or landlocks come on sliders on the riggers......well worth the effort in my view.
  22. Yes its own transducer.The Fish hawk operates at 70 khz which shouldn't normally significantly impact any of the standard depth finders.
  23. Nice going and nice LL persistence paid off
  24. Try small spoons 2-3 1/2 inches, light line (8-10 lb fluro) run way back from the boat no matter what the setup if not running deeper near bottom. In the shallower depths runa few feet off bottom.Work drop offs E to W and W to E (more work but chances increase) from 20 to 100 ft and play with the depth until you run them and as the day goes on run closer to the bottom. Just keep looking for steep drop offs with close proximity to deep water especially with bait in the vicinity.
  25. WTG Dave and Sheila and team! Some great fishing and sweet fish. Hope the steelie holds up.....either way you've got to be happy campers with those results. It sure sounds as though things are starting to turn on out there. Great report.
×
×
  • Create New...