Jump to content

Sk8man

Professional
  • Posts

    13,929
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Sk8man

  1. Honey Bees are very good spoons and I'm glad they are still being manufactured and sold. With that said I also know Fishy is an honest businessman who always tries to accomodate folks including sharing his knowledge and information about Keuka Lake fishing especially and he is always amenable to stocking things of interest to fishermen. It is too bad things can't be worked out equitably with a resolution somehow so that both of you small business guys can profit from the sale of those lures and we the customers can continue fully supporting both of you in your efforts and then everyone wins. Sometimes compromises can do wonders for businesses.
  2. What a day and to finish up with food like that....doesn't get any better Justin
  3. WTG Jim. Great smile on your son's face makes it all worthwhile right?
  4. Congrats Justin really nice fish .....especially the carp guess you weren't taking chances on a soft mouth and pulling the hook Man that tiger must have really inhaled that Bay Rat...
  5. Jim PM sent with Fishy's address and phone #
  6. Great job Jason That sure is what it is all about .... and also wonderful the good fishing coincided with their trip here. It has been pretty 'sketchy just about everyplace else so you sure took them to the right spot too. Another great day for Great lLkes Lures too. They are exceptional spoons and this is a prime example of their effectiveness.
  7. Sure looks that way Nick WTG. Nice spoon assortment too
  8. I lost a couple responses to guys PM's too but just a matter of hooking up the electrodes to my little pea brain and hopefully the little light bulb will go on again I second Mark's comment regarding Chad's efforts .....always right on top of things when they do happen and this site runs smoothly nearly all the time
  9. One way is to use gimbal mounts if you have recessed rod holders in the gunnels already. If not consider having them installed. I have four and have used them since day one. The only hole drilled in the boat is for the wires for depth finder etc. in the dash and mounting bracket for my kicker. During the heat of the summer it becomes a recreational (swimming) boat so the downriggers and rod holders lift right out and slip back in when I go fishing or just leave them in
  10. Yep There have been a number of real good examples of that on here. Don't give up hope it could turn up. Good luck with it.
  11. Sk8man

    Sold / Closed 1997 Starcraft 190 Fishmaster

    Hey even old "codgers" can learn new stuff.....don't get too discouraged we'll "school" ya On second thought we may want to give you some bogus info before the derby
  12. Nice work! The lakers have always loved that Long Point area
  13. Sk8man

    Sold / Closed 1997 Starcraft 190 Fishmaster

    Ditto on Bob's comment....he'll truly be a danger to himself and others now on Seneca especially during the derby
  14. I feel for ya Gino. I have one of them and have had it for 20 plus years and they are great. Hope you find it.
  15. Here are the basic differences between flashers and dodgers and a pic of a Spin Doctor as well. There are also different sizes available in these items. Pic 1 is the face or front side of (from left to right) 2 number 0 dodgers (blue/silver one and red one) Note the slight cupping on the ends that gives rise to a gentle swaying back in forth in terms of action Next to the right is a flasher (wonderbread design) with a fly different shaped bends in the ends without cupping giving a more pronounced but generally tighter back and forth motion or action On the right is a Spin Doctor/ fly setup It has a very different action than both the dodger or flasher it revolves round and round making the fly come through the water erratically back and forth. There are two sets of attachment holes one set at each end and placement determines the speed /action of the fly Pic 2 is the undersides of each item - Note the little rudder like affair at the end of the flasher and Spin Doctor and its absence on the dodger
  16. I think it is just the northenders that are superior at Seneca Kev....but I could be wrong
  17. Nice report John and you had some real tough competitors there too. Where are the "Silvers" when you need them eh?
  18. I'd stick with 10 lb weights with those downriggers to not stress the motors.
  19. If you are referring to the Hammerhead cowbells it has been pointed out that they are made of light weight aluminum instead of plastic http://www.hammerheadchartersandtackle.com/page8.html
  20. digitroll - good comeback with the automatic vs. manual transmission but I'd also ask if you are stuck in mud or a snowbank which would you be glad to have to get your butt out ? I can also do a lot of steering myself despite fishing solo for the two grand for an autopilot I too use whatever technological advancements I can afford and they certainly "help". The case I was making is that many folks (especially those just starting out) who may be viewing things here can get the idea that this stuff is "indispensable" and "essential" to catching any fish when that is not actually the case. There are many very successful fishermen on here that don't own either device that are still "whacking" them and I just thought someone should mention that in the midst of the discussion. I'm as interested in the info in this thread as anyone.
  21. Back in the mid seventies we used flashers (depth finders) to locate fish and a manual fishawk thermometer on a reel to determine where the thermocline was located and tried to fish accordingly. We caught quite a few fish and also the same with manual downriggers etc. Prior to that we used markings at intervals on the anchor rope to find depth for stillfishing for trout (which is why my arms are still sore today ). When I managed to get my first Heathkit graph that had to be hand assembled by my dad in 1976 or so I remember a woman saying "That is very unfair....those fish don't have any chance at all now and that is poor sportsmanship" The point I am getting to is that we get increasingly dependent on the technological side of this sport and the newest and greatest "gizmo" and if you are chartering it may be very desirable to go this route but there are a lot of folks who frequent this website that may or may not be able to afford this stuff that is being presented as "necessary" to catching fish successfully. I would say to the newbies viewing these things learn the basics of trolling and fishing before getting all wrapped up in the technology. Learning the basic skills such as learning to troll in the most productive directions, looking for signs of currents, watching for changes in wind direction and speed, gauging the angle of your lines and position of rod tips, paying close attention to details in all that you do while out there and the results of your actions and watching other more experienced anglers closely etc. If you fail to learn these basics all the technology in the world isn't going to put you consistently on fish. The technological advancements can "fine tune" or supplement these skills......and....what do you do when the technology breaks down or doesn't function properly?
  22. Dennis you didn't mention whether your downrigger is manual or electric and if electric whether the specs for it allow the heavier weights. One of the critical factors that may be as important as weight is the design of the weight. The torpedo weights in 10 lbs are manageable for both types of downriggers and cut through the water nicely with less blowback than the traditional cannonball or older fish weights. A couple guys here on LOU make great downrigger weights that incorporate newer design features- Troutman87 (Harvey) and bikinibottom (Rich). I know Rich fishes during the season and probably doesn't make the weights right now but Harvey probably does. I'd send an inquiry via PM
  23. I just ordered a set today of the Firebelly jacket and Toadskin pants My more than 20 year old Goretex rain suit was losing some of its repellency but I guess i got my money's worth out of it
  24. Can't put your nose too close to it mark
×
×
  • Create New...