Jump to content

Sk8man

Professional
  • Posts

    13,929
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Sk8man

  1. Yes I shared that experience with my dad on my maiden voyage with my 13 ft Whaler way back when. I backed down into the water with my dad holding the lines at the marina and went to drive away and looked in the rear view mirror of my ancient F100 truck to see the boat filled with water....luckily we were able to get it back on the trailer. My dad laughed his ass off. I can still see that image in my mind after all these years....
  2. Mike I'll be on the look out for it ....and if find some will share.
  3. I don't think walleye fishing gets much better than that Justin WTG
  4. A couple years ago I would have said fluoro but after having some commercial fluoro flies break at the knot on big kings I went back to 50 lb Big Game for flies (including my own home made ones without problems) but I use a 20 lb fluoro leader off 30 lb Blood Run Sea Flee mono for anything else (e.g. spoons or sticks) on Lake O (other than Spring browns in close 12 lb fluoro leader). My feeling is that fluoro is brittle and has problems with knot strength and kings can strike with a lot of force and torque applied to that part of the setup so it pays to have some stretch (not much with 50 lb Big Game but enough).
  5. Mike the underside on mine are plain silver....I don't know the official name I call them "half ladder backs" The one on the right looks like it has had glitter nail polish used on it and the eyes on the first two look like "add on's" as mine have eyes like the third one.
  6. Nice going Mike and company
  7. Really cool! Congrats on the new record fish
  8. Nothing like seeing those iridescent eyes coming through the water toward you at night and knowing immediately what's on the other end of the line
  9. Redeye87 has it right.....and I have been fortunate to have seen the evolution of it first hand...right from the old days of us still fishing through the trolling era...Hop has surely paid his dues and spent the time necessary to get things to this point and not just from applying all the newest"gizmos" either.
  10. Hope you have that grill strapped down good Nick !
  11. Those walleyes probably hide out dreading his return each time way to go bud.
  12. Sk8man

    Super pumped!

    If anyone can put onto the walleyes there it is Justin
  13. Fish Hunter -It is unfortunate indeed that a polygraph is viewed to be necessary but in the past it is alleged that in an early Seneca Lake derby someone entered a potentially winning fish that was actually from Lake Ontario and when they examined the stomach contents etc. they were still frozen. The DEC guy at the weigh in detected that it wasn't a Seneca fish. Unfortunately when money is involved some folks will do anything and fortunately they are a very small minority.
  14. Sean, To avoid the arthritis you have to eat tomatoes on your subs
  15. Bob, You might want to give them a little more time...they may grow on you as you get used to them. Going from manual downriggers to electrics is a major leap and it takes time to get used to....you could be kicking yourself later. At that same point I thought my 10 A's were too fast 30 years ago I think they and I have both slowed down with time....
  16. Yes sometimes things are kinda like the news... we hear about the negatives but there are all sorts of positives out there that go without mention. Good to know that info and it sounds as though you got lucky as far as the problem too
  17. Not a south Seneca lake issue that is for sure....those guys are great. ....despite my busting pre-derbies
  18. WTG Chad! We do really appreciate your efforts and I personally know how time intensive this stuff can be.....this is a wonderful website frequented by great people so your contribution to our fishing community can't be over stated . This site has opened a lot of doors helping many people to further enjoy and succeed in our sport. Thanks. Les
  19. WTG Chris....too bad you didn't have any action though
  20. Best of luck to you.
  21. It was $5000. for overall winner and 2,000 for largest laker (second place overall)
  22. Wow! It's weeks after the MEMORIAL DAY derby and Poke is still "seething". The second place finisher from Interlaken is a very good buddy of mine and we both learned this stuff fishing together starting back in the early 70's and I was with him at the awards ceremony and he told me that both he and the derby winner were given (separate) polygraphs and asked very pointed and detailed questions concerning their catches and behavior while doing it and they both passed with flying colors.....should be "case closed". There have been dishonest instances in the past and some suspected as well but when things have been checked out as best as they can be and come up "negative" you have to forget the "conspiracy stories". These guys who won were reportedly within the guidelines of the derby and legally catching a great fish and all of us enjoyed their account of it and are very happy for them.
  23. Cody, historically June is a "transition" month for most of the Fingers in terms of trout and salmon fishing and usually lake Ontario as well. By transition I mean that the water temperature is increasing and will be setting up a thermocline as the month rolls on. This means that bait is still readily available in the shallows in many areas, but dispersed and the fish are distributed all over the lakes....so fishing for them is pretty much "hit and miss". A lot of time folks don't realize this and think that they are doing something wrong or fishing in the wrong spots and it isn't necessarily true. In a few weeks the lakes will stratify with distinct layering and a defined thermocline layer (often 40-70 ft down from the surface) and fishing will be more predictable and generally improve in most places. The bait will move out of the shallows and regroup out deeper and the fish will follow them. Don't get discouraged...it sounds as though you were running the right stuff and in areas that should turn on soon. keep at it
  24. Just be careful not to fish on the Canadian side of the line (without getting a Canadian license first...I think you can get them right on Wellesley a ways from the park.
  25. I think given the fact that it is a derby....catching a bunch of fish is not usually the object it is catching the biggest ...trolling at night for trout (different for walleyes) is always a big question mark about whether it is worth messing around and getting tangles etc. If it were me and the water is relatively calm I'd either get live bait and drift or anchor up or else jig after locating some big marks that look like the species you are targeting (often suspended at night). It is safer, potentially more productive and if you use some incandescent light (e..g. lantern) you may be able to "call the fish in" with it placed for example hanging from a downrigger off the side of the boat. The bugs will come then the bait after the bugs and the fish after the bait. Just a thought.... I've done all of them and night trolling for trout is the least productive (and quite diisorienting as well). Then troll as usual during first light. Nothing like starting to fall asleep and hearing a screaming drag going out and not being able to see where or what is causing it.
×
×
  • Create New...