-
Posts
13,929 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Profiles
Forums
Events
Gallery
Store
Everything posted by Sk8man
-
Sweet....a lot of folks thought that it was all done but those water temps have been slow to rise this year and the crappies are still very active in places....when you find them it is like discovering a gold mine great eating too.
-
The cloudiness or yellowing on plastic windows is often related to ultraviolet light exposure over time and from what I have seen once it is at that stage it is "permanent" (I'm assuming that condition is what you are referring to)
-
It really helps to buy power handles for them....makes quite a difference.
-
:yes: on the Penn 309's Zack. The older red colored ones are my choice. Those reels are pretty "bullet proof" and relatively inexpensive and you can find parts for them fairly easilyif need be. There are other reel options too but those are my favorites...I have 6 or7 and they have lasted for many many years without anything being done to them. Just don't ever oil the drag system on them.(seen others do it and have to replace the drags)
-
I checked with one of my buddies who is a Conservation Officer and he said he thought that the use of them coincides with bass season but he wasn't 100 percent sure (he said it.....the issue seldom comes up) and because he thought that the issue was also under review in the Department of Fisheries so I called the Avon DEC Office and the guy I needed to speak with was off this afternoon. After reading the part of the DEC regs that Hermit posted and looking on the DEC website for any contradictory info my hunch is that I stand corrected and Hermit is right....
-
-
Thanks for the vote of confidence guys....the pressure is on...I can't screw up now....
-
-
-
-
-
All I can say is south end evening.
-
I'll send you a PM
-
-
Nice going. I used to get 5 gal pails full of those big lake bullheads (when the wind was right) at the Yacht Club cove, out from the three pipes at the north end seawall, Glass Factory Bay as well as the Dresden area. The critical thing is wind direction - needs to be coming toward you and not away from you. Leeches and manure worms work (the striped variety), and pieces of rotten shrimp, but best of all tadpoles (if you can find them). They tear them up
-
Yeah I have fond memories of the California Ranch and the bar/restaurant that used to be there....my wife and I used to eat there while ice fishing and had a couple drinks as well....real neat. I too have caught a bunch of fish including walleyes in the old days off that point and over across near Log Cabin point too at the edge of the hole. The algae bloom in summer is a very real problem now (contamination etc.) so I don't fish it in the warmer months. It is an incredible bass (large mouth primarily) lake as well as gills. Last night I caught tons of largemouth (all released) while fishing for walleyes including several that were in the 3-4 lb range on ultralight tackle. A lot of fun but not really what I was after.... My son lives over on the east side.
-
Out of i bay 5/2 - 5/7
Sk8man replied to bondouley's topic in New York Fishing Reports - Lake Ontario (South Shore)
-
-
I would check the service manual at a marina for sure.....I ran my Merc Optimax for 12 years and after the impeller failed found out that it is supposed to be replaced every two years in an Optimax. It was noted in the service manual but not in my owners manual. (and yes I did know I was skating on thin ice beforehand ) Basically they take a "set" (e.g. bend out of shape slightly rather than actually being destroyed per se. and no longer fit tightly to pull the water the way they are supposed to. I was surprised that the water still spurted out the ejection port....I figured that it would stop altogether but I was told that not so...but the upper cylinders may not receive the necessary flow for cooling raising the engine temp abnormally and if extreme can "smoke them". Luckily my warning alarm went on and engine only went to 190 degrees and I shut it down so no damage done. Lesson learned...I won't risk it again. I know it is an outboard but still the same principle.
-
-
-
-
When I run all my stuff outriggers, boards, downriggers, wire rigs etc. or when running 4 Seth Greens I leave my bimini down no matter what the conditions are (rain sun etc.) because it is often in the way of something no matter where the support braces would be located....it is kinda in the nature of the beast they take up a lot of side room regardless of placement. The bimini is fine when I run just downriggers and/or stuff that is located at the extreme back of the boat....most of the time it stays in the boot folded down. I got tired of reaching around the supports The bimini was designed by the Whaler folks not by me by the way.....
-
-
Just returned from evening fishing at Honeoye for walleye. Fished from shore casting Rapalas and other sticks just after dark with ultralights and 6 lb test line. The large mouth were smashing the stick and I managed to land all 17 of them and a few of them were real nice ones (all released unharmed). Caught just the one eye but he struggled pretty good and was 25 inches which is a decent one for Honeoye. He had some pretty good teeth on him too....thinking I should submit him to the River monsters reality show Anyway great to get out and have a little action.








