Jump to content

Sk8man

Professional
  • Posts

    13,929
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Sk8man

  1. WTG Marty! Kinger would be proud of you....and if it wasn't for the new boat and his new plush accomodations he'd probably be tempted to go with you instead of waiting around for Ed to break in his motors
  2. Just a suggestion ....actually get in the boat and stand and sit where you will be located and estimate at the height of a sunny day ( I know.,...It 's NYS and hard to find ). I know with my "Whaler made" bimini (which was expensive and not modifiable now) I wish it was a tad wider toward the back and front when the sun is at its highest in the summer. You need to also pay attention to where your rod holders and downriggers are located and put rods in them to make sure your have clearance for the bimini supports. Tell the guy making the bimini where you need to be away from them BEFORE he makes it. Because every boat is a different design you can't just go with standard measurements from someone elses boat
  3. Cody - Tile Man Dan is right.....that is why I mentioned the epoxy etc. This is something you want to get right to be safe out there....I'd speak with some folks at a boat repair place before you "finalize" anything....too important an issue to take chances with.
  4. Ditto. I think the Scotty's are much clumsier to operate than Cannons but on the other hand a lot of folks have them and love them.....guess it is also what you become used to.
  5. I go by the old maxim "If it ain't broke don't fix it". If I have stuff that is catching fish and working as it is supposed to....I stick with it until it no longer does so rather than changing for the sake of change. In the past I've been bit in the butt by changing stuff I didn't need to.....
  6. Sounds good Nick. I can't wait (after last years result or should I say disaster.....I'm psyched)
  7. In this case better to discover "sooner" than "later". It also makes you wonder how many boats out there have this issue but there is no awareness of it.....one of my fishing buddies discovered the same thing on his fiberglass boat and has replaced the transom and stringers and is still working on it. I believe he thinks the water may have seeped in very gradually through the motor mount bolts. It is one hell of a project but well worth doing right to be safe out there. After seeing him go through this it is VERY important to get good advice as well as select the best possible materials for the job. -new wood, the right (but expensive) epoxy/hardener and matting etc. On the plus side it looks as though you have a pretty open transom area in which to work unlike some boat designs that force you to crawl inside compartments while you're getting high on epoxy fumes.... Good luck with it Cody.
  8. A couple things come to mind regarding my own situation that may be worth mentioning....I usually trailer relatively short distances (other than when I go to Lake Ontario) and I have a single axle trailer and boat weighing about 3,200 pounds. I refill any grease that is needed each time I return from using the boat and I don't haul at high speeds (e.g. Thruway etc.) nor do I encounter any real mountainous terrain which can give rise to significant heat issues. So I guess what I'm saying here is related to "light trailer"use compared with larger heavier boats trailered over great distances and hilly terrain or high speeds on the expressways which are very different conditions. Just something to keep in mind.... Something also worthy of consideration if you do trailer in those heavier trailering conditions is don't back your trailer immediately into the water as soon as you come off the road (as I've seen people do) wait a few minutes for the hubs to cool down a bit first.
  9. WTG Mike I was surprised you guys even launched today in that wicked wind
  10. Will you be posting details of the trout tournament here? I didn't see anything on the website yet....
  11. Nice work there! Some great eating lying on that dock
  12. If you watch the center "disk" on the bearing buddy and when it starts to move outward you need to stop putting grease in it. As I mentioned above. it is important not to "over grease" or you'll be letting the water in there. Getting the kind of life out of the bearings I've been getting may mean I've been doing something right at least....
  13. If it were me I'd stick with the south end of Seneca as a game plan. Things seem very slow on Canandaigua right now....
  14. Cayuga, Owasco Skaneateles, and Otisco (3 in combination).I believe Otisco only has browns though.
  15. I also go with Kevin's logic.....run shorter especially in congested areas. I used to run my boards in the conventional way but with all the "yahoos" during derby time I have learned that my outriggers are a better choice as it tends to keep them at a further distance. I have even put fluorescent tape on the outriggers to ward them off We run 6 rods max and sometimes only 2 or 3 for certain things.....there are times when pulling a whole bunch of lines through shallow water or in congested areas is not necessarily the best strategy....
  16. VERY interesting! Makes me wonder if an approach to dealing with them on the Finger Lakes tribs could involve using a temporary impassible barrier just as they are about to spawn concentrating them in an area and then harvesting them before or as they spawn in addition to the present method of chemical treatments with lampricides for the amoecetes to try and devastate the future populations.
  17. For Seneca and all the lakes tributaries west of it - 3 in combination but it specifies "no more than one rainbow may be taken"
  18. I had the same thing some years back on a different and expensive brand (Impulse) and the transducer (Airmar) marked the bottom fine and hard objects but not fish whether in close or deep....turned out to be the transducer went bad.....sounds similar.
  19. I go with the old maxim there is strength in numbers Get ready for the "armada" of north enders (especially if you guys "sneak" into our territory)....I can feel your knees knocking from here Nick
  20. Man Justin.....that looks solid enough for duty on the Mekong Delta! You aiming to beat a 20 rod spread? great platform for harvesting those tigers and eyes. I have family commitments today (and even last night) preventing me from going after the eyes but I may be braving the 20 plus mph winds tomorrow night....Good luck bud.
  21. I have been assured by bunches of "north enders" that we are destined to take the derby this year so I already printed out my sympathy cards for you guys down there.
  22. Geez Nick I sure hope you find some flies before the derby.....we're gunning for ya this year (and these are only my home made ones
  23. You never know what those birds are going to do....one of my buddies was scouting once using an electronic call near his car....just to see if it worked. Nothing responded so he kept it up staying still. All of a sudden he felt something nearby and and the tom had come right up next to his leg...scared the crap out of him
  24. The yellow thing is the peanut (they come in many colors/patterns) and it can be rigged in a variety of ways (beads, spacers, glitter stuff etc.)
×
×
  • Create New...