Jump to content

Sk8man

Professional
  • Posts

    13,929
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Sk8man

  1. Department of Motor Vehicles in Waterloo?
  2. http://www.chinookdiver.com/product.html
  3. FLX - I was at the Chamber launch at the north end on Thursday just checking things out and the water level was pretty high then.....here's what it looked like (and the wooden part of the dock is buckled up)
  4. Sk8man

    Canadice 4/18 Canadice

    Four strokes are much quieter, smoother and a lot better on fuel.....on the downside they are a little pricey too
  5. Yes I didn't mean eating it right now
  6. Yeah Ray just combs the hair on his back to make it look like he has a shirt on. Best of luck to ya Ray! It was probably the seafood that got him to ditch NY.....couldn't be the high taxes could it?
  7. Heck of a nice eye! Some great eating right there....WTG
  8. Nice going Johnny....looks like that one girl had an air hose hooked up to her belly
  9. There are different ways of doing it but you want it to "roll" regardless... some folks do place a stiff wire in it and bend it, but many merely tighten the line going through it "cinching it" until it achieves the desired effect.
  10. Good luck with things and best of luck to your wife with the retirement....pretty neat that she was able to take 20 years of it....four was enough for me
  11. Welcome to LOu. I hope you get lucky with your finding a new boat and with the fishing this season. It sure sounds as though you got your moneys worth out of the old boat though
  12. How did you make out selling the boat? It was a great rig for someone.
  13. Sk8man

    Canadice 4/18 Canadice

    Jack, Don't be afraid of cranking the motor/speed up a notch or two even with the Sutton's. This time of year it seems most productive for me at least to troll things near the bottom and up at the top rather than concentrating on the suspended stuff. All of us are guilty sometimes of thinking every fish marked is a trout too Many times bass and other species of fish suspend and are not interested in our lures regardless of presentation. Usually if you can find pods of bait someplace that will pay off with fish if you are persistent.
  14. Thanks Kev. I sure remember Spence.....incredible fisherman here on Seneca and in Alaska. The great thing about the way this thread turned out is that so many great knowledgeable people contributed to it with "specifics" and solid questions. It is a learning experience for everyone and a "win win": for all and especially to newcomers to the site or to fishing. Thanks to all who contributed. Les
  15. Good points. There were times when I shouldn't have been out there too Great job on the boat renovation . Best of luck out there this season.
  16. One of the best investments I've ever made was in having a dodger made for the bow of my previous 13 ft. Whaler. It kept the huge Lake O waves totally out of my boat even in rough conditions that I couldn't have gone out in otherwise. It could be flipped up or down depending on conditions and my kids used to play with army men and read etc in it while fishing with me. Here is an old pic of it from the 80's with my son and his campground friend. The canvas was done by John Mann in 1979 and I still had it 22 years later when I sold the boat. Might be something to consider adding to yours as well to keep you dry from waves and possibly break up the wind and push it up over the cabin area....just a thought P.S. I even had one made for my current boat
  17. Good luck with it John....you'll be even more "dangerous" during the Derby now.... Les
  18. Good one Sonam...thanks I have it too and had forgotten to mention that one. Another is the Sporttsman's Connection Western New York Fishing Map Guide (www.sportsman'sconnection.com/) (also in places lke Dick's and Walmart etc.).
  19. You should be OK with it as Iceman mentioned. It is seldom a good idea to locate any transducer neat your kicker because of the potential for prop turbulance.
  20. Ed- yes Fred Flintstone and I went to school together (rode our dinosaurs)
  21. Sean's comments are "priceless" and there is no substitute for direct "hands on" experience (in other facets of life as well as fishing). I sure wasn't meaning to suggest that books and videos etc. are "replacements" or even close to being as important as actual experience.....just additional ways to achieve some understanding some of the aspects of this specific fishery for those folks new to it or that don't live around here. Bob - I knew it was your copy because it had all the question marks in pen after every "big word" P.S. Finger Lakes veterans Sean and Ray have given some important kernals of wisdom here which you probably won't find in any video orbook Thanks guys.
  22. RE: the Penn 309 -You can take some pliers or even a screw driver and carefully wedge open the level wind line guide on the Penn 309 to accomodate the swivel. I've done it for years and even took the thing out on some of mine that I use with wire for Seth Greens so the bead chains come through without problem.
  23. I've had a few inquiries (especially from new people) about what information might be available specifically regarding fishing in the Finger Lakes - especially for trout. In this day of You tube videos and various "how to" Web based sources a couple of older but important books have received little attention of late but for the person just starting out trout fishing in the Fingers they are very important in developing a basic understanding of some of the "mainstay" fishing techniques that have spawned the more recent equipment and tactics being used in this specific fishery. One of the books was considered my "fishing bible" in earlier years and I probably learned as much from it as any book I've ever encountered and much of it (techniques) is still relevant despite being published in 1962. The other edited book is a compilation of articles by other authors having specific knowledge of individual lakes written by my close friend and fishing buddy (now departed) talented outdoor writer C. Scott Sampson. Some other Finger Lakes fishermen may know of other useful resources for this particular fishery and if so hopefully will include them in this posting so it can serve as a resource for new folks trying to get a handle on things. Although many of the more recent developments (e.g. techniques and equipment) are covered on LOU in other places reading these books before hand can give someone a real jump on understanding the "in's and out's" that lead to their development. Here are the books: Fishing For New York State's Fabulous Finger Lakes Trout by Earl Holdren (and exquisite FL fisherman by the way) Outdoor Sports publishing (1962) - I'm pretty sure it is out of print but libraries may have it or possibly on inter-library loan. Good Fishing in the Finger Lakes Region and Western New York by C Scott Sampson (Editor) (2003) Sanders Fishing Guides Incorporated
  24. I was told by Tuna Tom that braid will slip on the spool and that mono should be underneath the wire because of the pressure of the wire on the spool when it winds tight on it after some use. I had some major kings hit last season on my wire and it sure didn't mess anything up...with 1000ft of wire I never had ti come close to the mono backing.
  25. What you may want to do first is do a search right here on LOU of previous posts for all the information that has already been provided on the subject (there is a lot that you can choose your selections from). Pretty much all of what you are asking is already there.
×
×
  • Create New...