-
Posts
13,929 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Profiles
Forums
Events
Gallery
Store
Everything posted by Sk8man
-
Finally figured out why spring hasn't shown up yet........
Sk8man replied to Frogger's topic in This Old Boat
-
bear creek 4-6-14
Sk8man replied to Redsicker71's topic in New York Fishing Reports - Lake Ontario (South Shore)
-
-
How much ice is still on Canandaigua?
Sk8man replied to Iron Duke's topic in Finger Lakes Discussion
-
How much ice is still on Canandaigua?
Sk8man replied to Iron Duke's topic in Finger Lakes Discussion
-
Finally figured out why spring hasn't shown up yet........
Sk8man replied to Frogger's topic in This Old Boat
Good going Mike. Certainly not a project for the weak of heart The Admiral is right in the midst of doing his Penn Yan right now...and I know you guys have had your hands full....not everyone would tackle it but when you have a boat that you know so well etc. it pays to put the time and energy into it (let alone the price of these new boats). Congrats! My hat is off to you. Best of luck with it and with fishing this season. Les -
How much ice is still on Canandaigua?
Sk8man replied to Iron Duke's topic in Finger Lakes Discussion
Mike I actually went down to the north end to give you a better idea of "on the ground" data. Pictures speak volumes....it is anyone's guess right now and dependent on wind direction and speed and perhaps rain conditions. It is possible that some docks may be taken out by the ice when this stuff moves despite the "bubblers" etc. Here is a visual "tour" of the north end from Wyffels Road (about 3 miles out on west side north end side to Kershaw Park at the extreme north end including the launch ramp and pier areas: -
Yeah it will probably hit 50 about the first week in August this year
-
"The Canada goose is another species that has really become a problem". Yeah Justin it is pretty bad when you have to wear hip boots to the launch ramp; not to deal with the boat but the goose crap....let alone the guys on a golf course The crows are a problem in my area too. I haven't hunted ANYTHING in years (timing issue interferes with my fishing) but I've tried to nail a few of the crows at close range out in my back yard with a pellet gun with ballistic pellets....every time I so much as turn the knob on the door they take off like rockets.....frustrating... but I have to laugh...they seem to be kinda smiling too as they take off which pizzes me off even more
-
Sold / Closed johnson 9.9 hp
Sk8man replied to Nature12's topic in Classifieds - Buy, Sell, Trade or Rent
What year is the motor Nathan? -
-
Very well said Justin. You covered some great points on both sides of the issue.
-
Sandy Shakedown
Sk8man replied to Pete Collin's topic in New York Fishing Reports - Lake Ontario (South Shore)
Nice going Pete and nice looking fish. -
Zack is right.... the last I heard they were having difficulty finding someone to silver plate them. Here is their number 585-374-2628 It would almost be worth the trip there just to experience the store....like walking back in time to the fifties and sixties
-
They are almost always dead unlike bass tournaments and they are not released after caught (unless undersize) etc.
-
Running Stick Baits with Dulock Snaps
Sk8man replied to tlombardozzi's topic in Questions About Trout & Salmon Trolling?
If they came with the rings I'd leave them on because the weight may be changed as well as potentially affecting the action directly. With that said I always check them at the side of the boat and see exactly how they are running before sending them out....and tune them if or when necessary whether duolocks are used or not. -
-
Could be true... but everything I have ever read or seen myself or heard from others (e.g. Seneca Lake in 500 ft water out by barge suspended 275 -300 ft. never hit- including jigging over them) and other fishermen I've spoken with report the same thing....apparent dormancy. But then again I haven't seen the article either and have not fished those waters either (Huron). Les
-
I wonder how many of those deep Kings are actually caught or even hit though because freshwater fish that are found that deep are usually in a rather dormant state (i.e.resting and not feeding maybe?)
-
I strongly second L&M's advice John Mann is top rate and reasonable.
-
Opinions on Parker, Steiger and Defiance Pilot Houses
Sk8man replied to RodBuster's topic in This Old Boat
If you look closely at the Parker's as the first selection choice you may not even go any further....they are incredibly well built and well thought out boats. If I wasn't a hardcore Boston Whaler guy it is what I would want to be in. -
When the fleas are bad I have downrigger rods with 30 lb Blood Run Mono which I use with 17 lb fluoro leader for spoons and sticks on Lake O but for hardware I have wire setups. By the way with wire rigs I was advised by Tuna Tom Reel Troubles to put at least a small amount on mono backing on the reel with wire to protect the spool integrity.. Often if braid/Spectra is used as backing a small amount of mono should put on first to keep the spool/drag from slipping especially while putting on the braid..I hear ya on the Flea Flicker stuff that is why I didn't mention it above
-
The braid will pick up fleas because of the texture primarily so they will adhere to both 30 and 50. The larger diameter mono and to an extent wire line does not allow the fleas to cling to it as easily. The larger diameter mono (e.g. 30 lb) is not necessarily the desired diameter people might want to use but if you don't want the fleas to clog your line....it is needed during flea season as they have a harder time clinging to it. There are also lines specially formulated to minimize fleas such as Blood Run Sea Flea mono that has a somewhat "slippery coating to discourage fleas and other lines as well.
-
Hats off to you fish-on! That dude was one lucky guy.



.jpg.be687995bf124b93c0cd5825a5c56002.jpg)



