Jump to content

Sk8man

Professional
  • Posts

    13,929
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Sk8man

  1. Good luck with them.....the smaller ones will work on walleyes too.
  2. I hope you are going to be using a deep v, deep gunwale and wide bottom 14 footer (before considering rigging it)
  3. It does happen. I lost a good buddy that way on Seneca Lake back in the late 80's and he was a Charter Captain too. Apparently hit his head on the way and must have been unconscious. I was apparently the last person to see him alive and speak with him at the launch ramp....and part of the search party....very haunting feeling to this day.
  4. Good one Mike!
  5. Thanks guys. We are very proud parents indeed. I don't know if it is because it is going to be the 50th derby (I think I have fished about 40 of them at least) but I am as psyched up as I have ever been for this one (could also be because of all the trash talking too ) Now that we've stirred up the south end guys they will be a force to be reckoned with too but I'm just hoping they get "disoriented" or even lost at the north part of the lake on the first day which will give us enough time to smoke em As long as everybody stays safe and has fun I'll be satisfied regardless of results. Hey Kev I know the father and son thing is as important to you as it is to me (although from different angles) and just being able to be out there doing what we love doing with them is what is most important and really what it is all about. Hey Mike with those lines re-rigged you'll be doubly "dangerous" now.... and John I look forward to chatting in person again this year....hope to see you at the ramp etc. again.
  6. Yeah....get in all the "practice" you can south enders.....if conditions are right you'll need it
  7. Pap a lot of the debris on Seneca ends up on the shoreline beaches depending on wind direction but also much goes out the canal system by way of the Seneca Canal at the north east end of the lake. It flows into the Cayuga Lake system (north end and out the Seneca River to parts east....) I believe something could hypothetically reach the ocean by this route (e.g. St Lawrence to Hudson River). As young kids we used to put notes in bottles and send them by the Seneca Canal
  8. Pap. You made one of the top deals of your life on those spoons The guy who made them was named Bernie Klimzak and was one hell of a fisherman back in the 70's and 80's and those spoons rank up there with the Suttons. WTG
  9. You sure put a hurtin on those fish out there WTG!
  10. Sometimes it can be a bad fuel line connector at either end (and especially where it goes on the motor) or the bulb is sucking air
  11. Sounds more like a bad board (or short) in the downrigger to me....
  12. Thanks Mike....that is better news than I expected (the fish... not the break off) I'm getting pumped up for the derby.I just returned from my daughter's graduation from Ithaca College and Cayuga was total mud at the south end and was happy to see that the north end of Seneca looked a lot better than I expected. A little murkiness might help us out too as long as it isn't real muddy...I'm hoping to test out my motors and equipment early this week here on Canandaigua. I'm always reluctant to fish before the derby on Seneca because several times in the past I've caught bigger fish than those that won the derby before and after it (but not during) and that is pretty depressing
  13. Yeah I seldom turn mine on at all during the derby I learned back when we were still using CB radios Thank heaven for cell phones....
  14. Yes Mike it was up over those floats under the docks a couple weeks ago. Lets hope for little to no rain before derby time....problem now is all the stuff out there floating around and were it might end up....
  15. Wow! May have to put 1/2 inch steel on the hulls before the derby Nick! Not a good omen....Thanks for the heads up
  16. West River launch (at night) both near the launch and out on the point (may be flooded out there right now...not sure) and the bridge north of there on 64 on both the south west and south east sides of the bridge. I haven't heard of any action on the north end for over a week. They were getting them at the launch ramp and toward 5 and 20 there in sucker brook back then. Maybe over near Wegman's at night now with the water levels the way they are and the mud stirred up or in the lagoon itself in back of Burger King?
  17. Sounds like a short someplace maybe the trim switch on the motor or at the control? and it may have burned itself up at the motor? I had to replace mine last season when it crapped out....
  18. I think Pap is right and everything seems behind a bit this season so far. The trees around here were about a week or two behind usual in budding and leaving....June could be a big month....
  19. Nope I was referring to these pictured here along with a normal sized squid. I have also trimmed of a few inches of their tails because I felt they were too long for fresh water use.
  20. I have always kept them as options especially when things are slow I even have the larger size ocean variety I also keep some dodgers handy....new school isn't the only school
  21. I think it is safe to assume that there may be debris etc. in all of the Finger Lakes right now given the recent rains and high water levels
  22. Yes the north end of Canandaigua is way up and total mud right now too.
  23. Wow! I'm feeling some of the excitement about the derby leaking out like air out of a balloon Ed..... A good thing the south end guys aren't motoring up from down there this year....it could be really dangerous out there if this stuff doesn't clear by then. The Seneca canal is reportedly a real mud pit now too. This years derby may be known as "back to square one" (for me at least.....)
  24. Back in the early eighties a buddy and I were fishing Owasco and we did notice a bunch of boats at the ramp but didn't think much about it until we came back in and realized that a derby was going on there. I inquired about the current standings on the leader board and a 9 pound something laker was leading. I asked them to weigh the two we had just for chuckles and mine was 11 pounds and change and my buddy's fish was a little over 10. The 9 pound laker held up and we were kicking ourselves in the butt all the way home for not knowing about the derby. It is a great little lake with some real nice fish in it.
×
×
  • Create New...