Downrigger release and rubber bands.

Lookinhg for some advice on rubber bands for releases.  I read some other post where they are used with light line or clean spoons but I wasn't sure if they can also be used with flasher flies?  Or do you need to use 2 or 3 if pulling a flasher or is it better just to make loop with line for flasher fliy set up?  I would prob be using blacks releases.  

Thanks for any advice.

Just use the Blacks as they are and adjust the tension upward (increase) a bit from what you would use with clean spoons or sticks.

• Like 1

Okay...thanks for reply.  So when are rubber bands good to use?  Just with clean spoon off rigger?  I have only used my downrigger a few times on Erie.  Had to cancel our lake ontario trip last year so pretty new other than book/internet reading.

Thanks again.

They can be used  to detect small fish that are intended for release or light biters like walleye for example. Normally once you get used to the Blacks and familiar with the tension, setting them becomes more intuitive. When running attractors like Spin Docs, flashers and dodgers  or especially cowbells the tension needs to be increased to prevent false releases.

Edited by Sk8man

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/10/2023 at 9:02 PM, Odie 1 said:

Okay...Great...I came across them in Dan Keatings books but wasn't quite sure when he used them.  Mostly light line it seemed.  

Thanks for the help.

I attended one of Dan’s seminars and he uses Blacks releases and rubber bands. He half hitches the rubber band 4 times around the line so it won’t slip. He’ll use one for light line and/or spoons. He’ll use 2 (just 1 half hitch as the 1st band is a stopper of sorts) or 3 and up to 4 bands when towing heavier gear like FF or in heavier currents. I asked him more about it and he said that you’ll detect (1) shakers, (2) decent fish and have more time to get to the rod and (3) it’ll help set the hook better. You want your releases tight enough to not break the bands but release after some good tugging by a decent fish. This will be my first season trying bands. We’ll see. Hope this helps. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for that advice   I wasn't sure if he did that for light line only the way his book read.  This will be my 1st year out ( next week ) so I will prob incorporate the bands down the road as I gain a little experience.