downrigging

I'm new with using downriggers. To better my chances I would like to start using 2 rods with 1 downrigger.

The downrigger on my boat is aimed off to the side and has one rod holder that's located in the middle and I have another rod holder that hooks on to the side of the boat. Should the rod towards the back of the boat be used for the higher

line, or should the rod towards the front of the boat be used? Also, if a fish gets hooked on the bottom line should you release the upper line so they don't get tangled?

I have a setup as follows and have never had an issue...and I am a die hard DR stacker and seldom a diver guy. Lower line goes in rod holder toward front of boat and set outward at 45 degrees. Top line is set 8' to 12' higher on the cable at least (depth distance related to length of lure from cable) with bottom line out at least as far as top line, if not slightly further. Top line is set in rear rod holder set about 10 degrees outward and 10 degrees rearward.

Unless I have a monster that requires dropping the boat into N, I never pull the top line until the fish is in the boat and it is time to reset rigger. (If fish hit top line, I reset top without ever pulling bottom.)

Now common sense does play in...I guess if I was '2 zoning' with a deep laker/king line down 130 and a top steelie line at 40 I might consider pulling the top line...but seldom does anyone have a stack that drastic. They tend to be within 20' of each other with a diver used up high if that is the game you are playing. As long as the diver is set out 2+ to the side it should stay out of the way if you are under power and don't have a big boy on. Again, a 25+ King tends to start playing havoc and it might be worth clearing gear at that point and dropping into N.

My 2 cents.