Simrad AP14R The good and bad

HPORT

I will start out by saying the AP14R I installed last Friday works great, takes waypoints from the GPS, holds a tight course and is quite to boot. The remote with digital display is worth the extra money over the AP12. This unit IMHO is much nicer then the Raymarine units, which I removed a sport pilot.

Now I failed to mention up front this is the second brand new AP14R unit I have installed in two weeks. The first unit installed easily, but the digital remote would not display...? Went through the checklist, took the cover off and counted the LED flashes, 5 (remote not connected) it was and not getting anywhere with Simrad or the dealer for whom I will never buy from again, I returned the unit and recieved a full refund in 3 days, not bad but I don't rate vendors buy how quick they return your money.

So I bought another unit from Technical Marine Support, and installed this unit in record time ( nothing like doing it twice). This brand new unit did the exact same thing...... so I called John at TMS, and asked if he knew the color coding of the Simrad system, yes off the top of his head we went thru the possiblities and color coding, till it was repaired. With that knowledge I found the factory had soldered the 12+ and 12- backwards in the coiled cord to the remote. A simple swap of the black and red wires at the junction box proved that, the system fired right up and works great... I just left it that way and gave John that imformation to share with the Simrad rep next time.

Has anyone else come across this?