Weird Mag 10 Problems

mjb377

Hey Guys,

I've got a pair of Mag 10s that I bought used 2 years ago. They are the version with the gray toggle switch in the back, postive ion control, and the shortstop feature. Up until now, they have been very reliable and have never given me any real trouble. Now, on my last two trips both riggers have failed! First, on Sunday, the starboard rigger would not come up. It would go down fine, but when you pushed the switch up, nothing. If I unplugged the rigger for a minute or so and then reconnected it to the battery, it would come up fine, but as soon as you went down at all it would not come up again. I took the motor housing apart, everything looked fine, no moisture or corrosion, all wires connected. So I figured the relays on the circuit board must have gone bad and I would have to get a replacement. Now tonight, the port one is doing something similar! Again it goes down fine, but it will only come up about 6in at a time, then stop. If you let the switch go and then push it again it will come up another 6in or so, then stop. Once the ball is out of the water, it works fine again.

It seems awfully suspicious that both of these circuit boards would have decided to fail at almost the same time - anyone have any ideas what might be causing my problems? Anybody ever have something like this happen on their riggers?

Thanks,

Matt

I had a buddy that had an old set of Invader electrics that did something similar. They worked fine out of the water but in the water we had to "assist" them up(ie. flip the switch and turn the spool by hand). Ended up that the motors were worn. We tried having the brushes replaced localy, but no good. They were just too far gone. He ended up getting rid of them because new motors would have been almost as much as new riggers.

I am having the same problem with a set of marlins i bought last year? and i think it has something to do with the ion and or short stop control. I did find a ground wire that was loose and put a new crimp on it but have yet to see how long it will work? if you find out something before i do please let me know. i have been trying cannon for info but they want me to take it to repair place?

Dear Cannon Mag10 owners,

Check the voltage at the rigger connection, must be 12.0 volts PLUS!

Bad/corroded connections will cause similar problems in UP mode when the motor load amperage peaks during the UP mode. Tired motor brushes will cause poor performance. I HAVE one NEW (in the Cannon package) Marlin circuit board for someone who needs it. First $50.00 takes it. Paid $64.00 for it in 1995.

Respectfully submitted,

Jet Boat Bill