Hot Lure: NBK Mag

Trolling Speed: 2.3

Down Speed: ?

Boat Depth: ?

Lure Depth: Approx 66 feet

====================

SUMMARY & FURTHER DETAILS

====================

My son and I rolled into town Thursday night. Drove the boat over to fill up the tank for an early Friday a.m. start and my gear box went on me. I was able to make it back to my slip after rigging it to work. Messed around with it for an 1 hour and a half only to realize there was no way to use my boat. I had a older friend that has a boat down he road and he was coming up to fish on my boat since he has not fished all year long on his. My son and I drove around most of the day stopping at the tackle shops and various holes along the river to see if there was any action going on yet. We stopped by the hatchery to kill some time also. It was a nice day. My friend shows up later in the day on Friday after getting his boat out of cover to find out his batteries were in need of charging. We head out Saturday morning around 7:30 and find the boat is not starting. I am startig to think I had a black cloud over my head for the weekend. We had to switch the batteries around and we got it started finally around 8:30 and headed out of the state launch at Mexico. A few minutes into the troll and the riggers and fish finder weren't working for some reason. We had to bring up and lower the balls by hand. Could not get a speed , temp or depth. We're going old school now. We figured we were between 80 and 100 FOW and used the other boats to gauge our speed. We took 2 hits on a mtn dew spinny trolling a pro am living fly down 75. We were getting disgusted by this time. I had a NBK mag on my copper line down the chute and that went off screaming 100+ yds. My son was sleeping in the cuddy cabin and my buddy said earlier he didn't want to have to reel in all that line if the copper was to get hit because of his arthritis being so bad. I gave up the wheel and took the pole and about 20 minutes later we had a 36" 21lb king for our efforts. We almost lost it being that our mono leader got wrapped around the Dispey line as he got close to the boat. It was a little nerve wracking towards the end. That was it for the remainder of the morning. We threw the towel in around 12:30 as we noticed fewer boats on the water and hearing less chatter on the radio. My friend drove back to Pa. and my son and I went back to Selkirk. We packed up Sunday morning and came home. It was nice to talk to a few of the LOU members while up there and saw a few also. I'll be back up again this weekend. I was toldmy boat will be fixed by then this may turn out to be my last trip out on the water for the year.

My Son at Selkirk holding the king we landed on Saturday

P1010103.jpg