Trolling with motor only?

I have a question for you great marine mechanics. The Redneck Yacht had a new 4.3 V-6 motor put in. This thing is idles smooth and runs great. The question I have is the boat will troll down to 1.8 MHP without a plate or bags. The question is should bags/plate be used to keep up the RPMs? Does the extra few RPMS really help the motor or should he use a fuel cleaner to keep the carbon build up down? the only thing that was not replaced on this motor was the intake and exhaust manifolds, the carb was rebuilt. thanks in advance for the replies.

my mechanic suggests always running bags to keep the rpm up. i have a v8 and it will troll under 500 rpm. just watch your oil pressure gauge and maintain good oil pressure and you should be fine.

Dear PS II, Trolling bags have my vote. (After trying everything) the bags allow better directional control in cross winds or beam seas. A slight mistake on the throttle position will not cause any problems with bags. BUT will bend a Happy troller plate up or crack a lower unit cavitation plate. The plates work well but sooner or later, you will bend one up. I even cut a 4 inch diameter hole in them so the plate wouldn't cause the engine to overheat. the trolling plates will get you down under One mph. and are excellent for walleye fishing and lake trout.

An engine speed of 1000 RPM is much easier on the cam & lifters when you troll for 6 to 8 hours. Don't worry, be happy, these trolling engines usually last from 2 to 5 years before major overhauls are needed. I have seen the inside of these engines since 1981 and the guys that set them up for fast idle trolling get the longest service. "Troutman" had some GM big blocks that were still going strong after 4000 hours....Sincerely, Jet Boat Bill