Trailer wheel bearing Question

Erbyjoe

I'm on my 4TH season of a new trailer with surge breaks do I need to repack the bearings or just keep checking and making sure there is no leaks and keep putting greese in the bearing buddys?

Hank what do you think?

Erin: After 4 years or 3 for that matter I would service them. Clean, ck, repack and adjust especially with the amount of miles you put on it towing from where you are. A bit of preventative maintenance can save a lot of heartache.

Dear EJ, Jack up each wheel and spin the wheel assembly. They should turn freely and make no noise (axles w/o brakes). No detectable side play should be felt by pushing the top, then the bottom of each wheel. The axles should turn that have brakes, but slight scuffing sounds (from the brake shoes) will be heard. if you greased the Bearing buddies, once a month, the bearings should be fine. CHECK the tires for broken belts, nails and side wall cuts. it's amazing the trash in the water at the ramps that will cut a tire.

If your towing @ 65MPH on the interstate, please realize that this is the maximum rated speed for trailer tires! Goodyear recommends 5 psi over the max. tire pressure (for a LT205/75/14) of 50 PSI for the load range C. IF YOUR GOING DOWN THE INTERSTATE.

It wouldn't hurt to pull the hubs, clean up and visually inspect all the parts. I do it every year, but I believe an ounce of prevention is worth the piece of mind, especially when breakdowns on major highways are very costly.......Sincerely,......Jet Boat Bill