kicker motor size

Ray

I have a 24' Thompson hardtop and I am looking for a kicker to put on....question is what size. I have seen alot of similar boats that have 9.9 hp kickers. I have my eye on an 8hp four stroke...would that work?

Thanks for the help.

Ray

Make sure you get a high thrust model. I know of two friends, one with a boat the same as yours using a 15h.p. evinrude 4stk. the other is a Grady 24 with a yamaha 9.9 high thrust 4 stroke. Both of these perform well. The 8hp may be on the small side when the wind and the waves kick up. I have a Yamaha 9.9 on a 22 Lund cuddy, and it performs very well.

Keep in mind you may have to rely on your kicker to make it home someday and it always happens when the lake turns ugly.

Ray

My main motor is oil injected so I am able to run off the main fuel tank. I currently have a "t" but plan on tapping into the second port on the fuel filter when I get the boat out of storage. You have to be careful when sharing a fuel line. One engine can pull the fuel from the other and cause performance issues. I currently have a 3 way valve at the tee, and it works o.k. , unless you forget to open it when starting the kicker.