What's better in your opinion: Lead Core or Snap on Weights?

Every year I am adding more equipment to my arsenal and trying different techniques. Last year I was the first that I used Lead core line as well as try those add on weights from Michigan Stinger. I caught fish using both techniques. I lost 6 colors of my 15lb lead core from a vicious hit from a nice fish. What it was I"ll never know. This year I was planning on moving up to the 27lb LC line with the addition of two bigger reels. Have you found in your past experience to get more hook ups using lead core line and flouro carbon leaders or just mono and snap or add on weights? Just curious what some of you seasoned big lake anglers has better luck with.

GB,

I love lead core and learned how to use it well from trolling many years out of Ludington, MI. I like the long leads and I fish 27# exclusively using inline planers, unless I fish it down the chute (typically a ten color when the fish are shy). As Legacy stated above, it just seems to have great action in the water and is stealthy. The only problem is I find you need multiple rods to fish different core lengths b/c you have to attach your board or release to the backing and not the dacron sheath of the core. I suppose you could splice in mono in between every color, but it would seem like a lot of knots every 10 yards.

That being said, I always fish at least one core rod whether spring, summer or fall - we pick up a lot of "bonus" steelhead or high fish on seven or ten color core that way.

Good luck,

- Chris

Just to add something. Snap weights are a great way to achieve depths that you cant already achieve with the equipment you have. I have a bunch of dive bombs on the boat and i put them to work. But if you find yourself using snap weights or divebombs on every trip you may want to consider adding another piece of equipment designed to target that depth. (I can already see two 300' copper setups in my future for this reason)