Canandaigua 5/2 and 5/3

tcon and his boy Dustin met me Sunday 5/2 for some fishing out of the south end. We ran an array of shallow riggers with long leads mixing spoons and stickbaits along with sticks behind inline planers. I did find 53 degree water on the east side along Sunnyside Rd. just a bit north of the drop off. We worked the eastside north troll, and the water just kept getting colder. Worked out deeper crossing over to the westside, then trolled back south to drop off. We had fun playing with Tom's new wire set ups, Daiwa Accudepth 47 LC with 8' rods. Nice rod length for the wires but we couldn't get a bite.

Monday 5/3 cheslers and his buddy Darren met me. Cheslers is new to the board and to trolling so I was going to give him some advice and show him how I set things up. WE worked the same areas as the day before in the south end from 7:30-9:00 and then hit the gas dock when they opened. The showers ended by the time we refueled and headed to the north end, stopping along the way and hunting around a bit. I could not find any fish. We set up south of Menteth Point, and trolled north past German Bros. and worked up to the Pumphouse and circled back to troll along the shallower water near German Bros. One mark around 50' down was all I ever saw besides some bait pods around 100' back down in the south end. The weather was nice for a boat ride though, and since it was so quiet Darren got a good nap in for awhile. Chesler did say he had fun learning some things, hopefully next time he gets to reel in a fish. Monday we ran the copper out about 250' with a spin dr and hammer fly, stickbait off the planer, and mixed the riggers with spoons, sticks, and flashers from 10'-50'.

Flxtroutman

It's good to see you back on the water. I've been out a couple of times this year and found that most of the fish are still on the south end down deep. I've caught most of my fish on dipseys on spin doctor and flies out 280/300 ft out on braid in 150/200 feet of water. Downriggers are slow. I still haven't seen any decent bait pods.I can't wait to the North end picks up it really sucks traveling the whole lake to find fish. Good luck with your copper set up this year I think I'll give it a try this year. See you on the Lake.

Jay

Mike,

Thanks again for taking us out good company and the weather man being wrong made for an enjoyable day fish or no fish. We hit the local hot spots after we left, Luigis and then on to Huntones for an icecream :clap: hope to make it out again soon,

Take Care,

Tom and Dustin

FLX - It's good to see that someone with your experience is seeing the same thing I saw last week. I thought I was loosing my mind because I'm used to finding fish in shallow water this time of the year but they are really deep right now. Go figure - this lake seems to be the exact opposite of Seneca. Thanks for the report.