heading out this weekend

When I'm trolling with Rapalas and a diver or rigger do I need to have it tied on with a rapala knot, palmor knot or attached with a swivel? When using cowbells, how far back do I have my spoon or lure? What type minnows should I get shinners, pike minnows or saw bellies? Sorry for all the question just new and want to do some things right hope you guys and your knowledge can help

Welcome to the board!

I'm gonna pass on the Rapala Question because I don't troll them behind divers or a rigger. I usually pull them behind a planer board. A "church board" or "yellow bird" sometimes works better in the fingerlakes because they don't allow as many weeds to slide down your line and kill your presentation.

Cowbells have a lot of drag and I prefer the flashers, Spin Doctors, etc (many here call them "spinnies") but you want to set the leader between your cowbells and spoon so that you can still net your fish when you bring it to the boat.

Sawbellies are the preferred bait for Lakers. Grab some #6 or #8 english hooks and thread them through the back just under the skin starting right behind the head and out behind the dorsal fin. Use a slip sinker and put it on the bottom. Some guys float them under a bobber as well. This is probably better early morning.

Good luck and come back to tell us about your success!

I always use a Palomar knot and a swivel...not sure it is the right thing to do though. Cowbells are o.k. if you run them about 10 feet behind the downrigger ball. If you run them off divers, you will wear out your forearm trying to reel them in because of the drag. If using cowbells, I use those little "popcorn" spinners about 18" behind the cowbells. I like flashers a lot more but if you tangle a flasher line with another line you have a complete mess that usually ends up with you cutting your line and re-tieing everything. I also use stickbaits behind flashers and cowbells and catch fish with that setup.

Sawbellies are probably the best live bait...try one of those hooked to a flasher or cowbell setup. It'll catch fish...

The reality is if your targeting Lakers, use a flasher - fly combo in green/green and you won't go wrong. Tie your fly about 18" - 24" behind the flasher....seems to work for me. You will catch way more Lakers than with sticks and spoons.

Thank you for the tips. I don't own any flies!! Looks like I'll be buying some at the tackle shop before I go out. I just though using flies wouldn't work, but I guess it's the most productive set up to use.

so if I use a silver dodger and a orange flat fish with black dots, i'm probally wasting my time?? so many lures and only 2 poles per person. Good thing I got 3 days to try and land 1 fish

I know for a fact it does help!! Unless it has a split ring then you don't need to tye a Rapala knot. Next time you put one on. Try a rapala knot on one and a improved clinch on the other, you will see the difference. After tying the Rapala Knot it increased productivity by at least 30%. Caught a lot of big fish on Rapala on the lakes here in PA, including a 28.5" Rainbow weighing 8lb12oz