control king on a tiller?

hawkeye625

I just bought a new tohatsu 9.8 tiller and added a control king yesterday. The control king seems to function o.k., but it will only move the throttle linkage about 1/3 of the way (to setting 4). It seems the linkage is too tight for the little electric motor to move. Is this normal or am I missing something? Even tried disconnecting the tiller handle control and linking control king direct to carb (it gained a little but not full throttle).

Any suggestions welcomed.

If you could post a pic of it it would help. I just put one on my merc 9.9 and the instructions said to mount the servo with the wheel facing toward the front of the motor. It was clearly not correct I had to mount it with the wheel facing the rear of the motor. If I would of followed the intructions it would have performed similiar to what you are saying yours does. hope this helps.

TD

Mounted it the same as in the picture with the directions. They are a little confusing though. Spoke with the guy from control king and he's sending me an adapter used with the model with controls. From what he said my linkage doesn't have enough play in it to allow the servo to work properly. The adapter should give the play needed. I guess its just a piece of shrink tube that fits tight on 1 side and loose on the other, allowing the servo to work while the tiller handle isn't being used.

Thanks for the post Tripleduece, I'll let you know if the adapter works.

The adapter worked like a charm. Just had to cut the linkage arm from the tiller handle and put the piece on (shrink wrap on 1 end a metal tubing on the other).

Used the control king on Erie yesterday (love it).