Hot Lure: see below

Trolling Speed: 2.6-3.4 sog

Down Speed: consistent 2.5 mph

Boat Depth: 180-400 fow

Lure Depth: see below

====================

SUMMARY & FURTHER DETAILS

====================

Great past two days of fishing - Sunday was average but today was unbelievable - hands down the best fishing we've ever had on the lake. Special thanks to Anthony (Pike Hunter) for depth assistance on Sunday and to the Instant Reports.

We covered a lot of water and had fish hit at most depths, but the hottest area seemd to be 180-220 fow. There was a debris field near 200 fow and it held some fish (albeit smaller kings) on both days. Every single set- up caught fish (first time ever that I can remeber this happening to us)

We had many doubles, two triples, a wire double, two fish on one rod (rigger and slider), hand reeled a fish for 75' b/c of fleas, caught one in my hand while reeling in the 600' copper to change the flasher, and one sick crew member today.....

Set-ups which caught fish:

- 600' copper

- wire Dipsy's with flasher/flys - 175' to 285' out #3 setting

- riggers 80' to 135' both with sliders

Successful lures:

- Gator Spinny/Gator fly

- Gator Spinny/purple mirage fly (many fish)

- White/green dot spinny/ Hammer fly

- Diehard spinny/diehard fly

- Diehard spinny/Hammer fly (awesome on copper)

- Kelly green spinny/green crinkle fly

- Crazy **** combo (many fish) - worked best high between 175-185' out

Spoons:

- NBK, SS Deathwish, SS bloody death, 42 second - both NK magnum and SS, SS Steelie Dan, SS green dolphin (very hot for us today after 9AM), SS dirty white boy - both white and silver back, SS gator, SS green icicle, SS purple thunder, and I'm sure a few more.

FWIW, fleas are so bad we had to cut and re-tie all our wires both days (6-7' on the wire).......

Good luck to all,

- Chris

Agree. We’ve been fishing the same area and it has been dynamite! Two people, four rods, and more doubles and triples then we could handle. Twice yesterday, I had coho grab my lure as I was attaching my fixed cheater…5 ft down and 10ft back near the prop wash. We also had a king attack two lures. Two rods popped and it was the same fish with both hooks in his mouth.

Off the riggers green super glows have been great until about nine am and then it’s mostly NBKs after that. The NK green alewife was smoking tonight…Rod down, rod up from 7-8pm. 85-100 down on the riggers has been best for us. 300ft on the wire with a 3.5 setting. The purple nuclear spin doctor with a purple mirage fly and a black/purple dipsey has taken all our large kings. That combo turns on around 8:30am.

It’s been mostly small and teenage kings, large coho and decent steelies for us. We also caught some lakers and browns in 100 FOW water yesterday morning. We had to get out of there because of all the small kings. We did get a real nice Atlantic about 15lbs as well. Tonight there were some big kings out in 250fow.

There is a wicked current so watch your down speed. 2.5- 3.2 was best for us. Down current was running east to west. Fish preferred to have the lures run cross current (N/S troll) or trolled upstream (east troll). Fish always point upstream and they didn’t want the lures trolled down steam in their face on a west troll. The bite slowed considerably when we did this.

Fleas are bad. I run 30lb test with a 10ft lead of 15lb fluorocarbon blood knotted to the end of it. That seems to do the trick. We released all our fish. Tried not to take the little guys out of the water and spent some time with the big guys reviving them. Most swam away to fight another day.

Good luck, go get-em!

DR

DR,

Great points on the trolling direction and the input on the current direction. Also, ALL of our fish were released to fight another day.

I also forgot one more "odd-ball" occurance over the weekend - when we were pulling up our port rigger my buddy yells "take a look at this" and we had a small king or steelhead about 14" long swimming on the surface right next to the boat attracted to the rigger ball which was only a foot or two below the surface

In all my years, I have never seen that before.

Good luck in the upcoming days,

- Chris

Thanks for sharing a fantastic report!

I cannot take too much credit for your successful outing. You have outdone us when we were fishing in the same grounds yesterday at about the same time!!!!

As a good captain would say, one must not blame on anybody else on the ship but himself. My brother from Brooklyn was fishing with me over the weekend and we had two bouts of tangles with the copper set up on each day. There was no reason for this mess to happen other than allowing your rookie brother to drive the boat while hes checking his droid. :(

We only boated four fish yesterday - one nice 8 # steelhead took Steely Dan lure.

Saturday, my bout of dealing with the unnecessary tangle was rewarded when my brother took his first king - about 21# off white spin doc with hammer fly. Good 15 minutes battle. I thought it was a steelehad given the way the fish trashed the water over and over.

Also, I have bought a derby ticket for my brother JUST IN CASE. You will never know. Even though we did not even come close but I would rather end up with nothing than landing the biggest fish on my boat WITHOUT a derby ticket! :o

Keep up with the excellent report! Safe fishing everyone.

Chris, I forgot to chime in when I saw the fish following my boat just 1 foot below the surface. I thought I should stop quit taking the pain killers for my sore back. Now, your experience had confirmed that the sighting of the fish behind my boat was real, not something from the pill.