Riggin Inline weights

I have been attempting to catch lakers and brown trolling with inline wegiht setups and sutton spoons. Anyone have any advice for setting these up that may help me to land my first fish? I have been running a 2-3oz shade inline with 3-4' leader behind attached to my spoons. I'm trolling in 70-80' and seem to be right on the bottom and up but haven't had a strike yet. I have trolled as slow as possible, and sped things up to change the speed and action. I'm new to trolling in the FL's so maybe I'm not doing it right. Any advice would be great.

1-3oz or 1-2oz they are molded like a shad, white in color, swivel on each end. letting out enough to get to bottom and then some at the troll starts I can see the bait on finder so I know its getting down, I should mention I'm trolling from either my Kayak or Canoe so speed isn't hard to keep down or vary

I dont think you are anywhere near the botton with 3oz of weight. Last week i was in the thousand islands and was trolling spoons for pike at 2.3 mph with 6oz weight and i was not hitting bottom in 25 fow with 160' of line out which was 30lb power pro. There are trolling guides avaliable that have charts for this but I do not have one with me at work. Also I have found if you run a leader that is closer to 6' your bite rate will go up. To get to the bottom in 70 to 80 fow you might need more like 10 to 16oz of lead. I would look into using dipsy's or the torpedo weight that you clip to the line might work well if you do not plan to buy down riggers.

Well I know when I let it out it is for sure down that deep and moving at the speed I am with the angle of the line I can't beleive it is getting that much lift. I'm running 10-12lb line with 4-6lb leaders. I will run longer leaders to see if tat helps. I have been reading up on this technique or the 3way swivel with 2-3 oz's of weight technique and everything says it should easily get me down slow trolling maybe not I was just going off what it appears and what I had read. i want to try dipsies I just don't know how they are rigged yet, still trying to learn at some point I need to go out with someone that knows what they are doing. I grew up trolling for brookies with wabblers and crawlers or streamers but mostly flatlining it.

Just from memory walleye fishing. 3oz at 40 back at 1.0 mph is 25 down 62 back at 1.0 mph is 38 down. I'm with Gene you were probably nowhere near bottom. Lengthen your leads a little bit as well.

Here is a chart this is at 1.5 mph with 10 pound mono food for though. Lead is EXTREMELY speed dependend. Look how much blow back we get even with 8-15 pound rigger balls at over 2.0 mph. think about a puny little few oz of lead. ;)

69sW9.jpg

Well the best way to know for sure is put them down and start paddlin that yak into shallower water until they hit then you will know for sure. Another option that might work are these torpedo trollin weights http://www.torpedodivers.com/torpedo.asp they are not cheap but they look like a better system then dipsy's on the yak! Good luck and when you get it dialed in we want to see some pics!!!

Thanks man, I have notice when i paddle in a bit like 65-70' I hit bottom quick so it seems like they are getting down good. I'm going to go look at a copper rig and maybe think about adding that to the tool box I'm having a blast learning that's for sure I think that can be the best part. My buddy and I are starting to get the jigging down I did finally land my first laker sunday and had a couple short strikes and lost a couple.

Nice! keep working at it and you will get good at it until something changes and then your learning process starts all over and that is why this sport is so challenging and fun, all of us are always learning!