it is just around the corner

jaychunter

man o man .... it wont come any sooner . for the last month the sweat at huntin camp has been intense with all the work bein done . and the amount of deer seen and even see them from camp from time to time . the only thing that has me worried .. there is a doe , she must be last year cause she is small but she is all light tan on her legs and a spot on her side . has me thinkin of inner breedin . and i dont shoot small deer . but should i . guys what is your thought on this , it would make a nice skin .

do i let her walk or do i take her, i read a segment in my ny sportsman paper writin by oak duke . been readin this guys stuff for a long time and he says to not shoot the does til later on cause he feels it could mess the rut up .. so it is a toss up to not shoot these does . what ya guys think of that

Personally, I'd wait. Doe's are live decoys and if they are walking around your property unspooked, then the bucks in the area will likely be "comfortable" nosing around your property. Late in the season......it would make a nice skin on the wall.

Shawn

i heer ya on that fx , with very little huntin pressure and healthy food plots to eat year round our deer a good and healthy . i just dont want the inner breading . so if she comes in and offers a clean shot durin the fire arms season ill put the cross hairs behind the jaw an inch, and she'll fall in her tracks, then on the wall !!!!

I like to shoot does with my bow to keep the hill quiet during gun season. There is something to the arguement that more does means better rut activity, conversely, less does around during the rut means more competition among the bucks so more likely the big boys will get to do the breeding. One of the tennants of QDM is that you keep doe levels low so most of the does get bred on the first estrous cycle so they drop fawns earlier to make a hardier fawn come winter.