Question to people that make and use flies.

bob03567

Ok so once i a great while I get an idea, and this one just popped in my head. After using the fly rigs with the 50lb mono or flor. at different lenghts. It seams that unless you put some kind of a swivel on the end of the leader your always making new leaders for flies.

Its not a real big deal, but. Im thinking there has to be a better way to do this.

Like how about just making the leader just long enough to fit through the fly head and attaching a barrel swivel to it. either make the leader out of braid 50# or something else like black covered steel leader. then you and make many leader at differnt lengths and attach or change as ofter as you like.

I've read that lighter line seams to change the action on the fly so I don't know if putting a swivel at the head of the fly would hurt the action or not.

I also understand that the idea is for the fly to slide up the line and not get that damaged from the fish.

So i guess its a judgment call as to what you want to make or buy more of flies or leaders.

If you purchase prorigs already made. the price is as much as a fly unrigged. So again I think its a judgement call.

So if anyone has any ideas or they think this is a bad idea please post your answer for me.

Thanks

i usually buy my flies in 6 packs. my standard length is 21". if i want to change i tie another one at say 24". once the new one is tied i pull the old one and change it. that works for me. use only 40 -50 test mono or floro, you want your fly to "swim", braided line is not stiff enough. that is just my opinion.

I started a similar thread last spring on this issue. I was interested in tying a short leader which I could then snap onto to make any length leader I wanted. I messed around w/ it some & decided I didn't really like the way the fly moved but I did catch some fish w/ flies rigged that way. I tie my fly leaders w/ a palomar to a big coast lock snap swivel so they are pretty easy to jockey around but I really tend to 'marry' most of my flies to specific flashers. I do have some pairs that feature rather long leaders (36-54")

Also have found that damaged ratty looking flies often outfish new flies. Who knows? (you gotta remember to try keep in mind that we're trying to 'out smart' a creature w/ a brain the size of a pea) -Andy