Make Your Own Spinnerbait Skirts

rivermandave

Year’s ago I wanted to be able to make my own spinnerbait skirts, so I bought some material from www.jannsnetcraft.com www.barlowstackle.com and www.staminainc.com

and put it into a little kit like this.

SkirtMake0.jpg

SkirtMake0a.jpg

I was disappointed with the various things that were available to spread out / open the "bands" that hold the skirts together, so I went out and got me a vise ($20) and a couple of hollow needles ($3.95 for 2 of them).

You can see the needles at http://www.wrights.com/products/catalog/boyeline/knittneedles.htm

SkirtMake1.jpg

Take one of the needles and cut it to desired length. After you’ve cut it, take a small file and file down the rough edges on your new “toolâ€.

SkirtMake2.jpg

Lubricate the tool with a little bit of petroleum jelly, then slide the band onto the tool.

SkirtMake3.jpg

Cut some strands of material in the colors that you want for the skirt.

SkirtMake4.jpg

After you have reset the tool in the vise, slide in the skirt material and slide the band up onto the material.

SkirtMake5.jpg

You can then slide the band further down the length of the strands, then trim the ends of the strands. If you need a shorter skirt, cut lengths prior to putting the band on to save material.

SkirtMake6.jpg

You can also use a small hobby-type needle-nose pliers, although this isn’t as easy.

SkirtMake7.jpg

The vise also comes in handy for MANY other things too 8)