Boat Top Options

Blue Heron

I have a 22 year old 20' Crestliner Great Lakes Sabre that I have a bit of a top dilema with. This is a fully cuddy boat ( not walk around) and the couple I bought it from had just had a new custom canvas top made for it the year before I got it - unfortunately the canvas top comes about 18" too far back into the fishing area ( IMO) and that area is already limited on a 20' boat. For year I have had 'top envy' - I think that the Hard tops & Trampoline tops on many of the sportfisherman out there look awsome and I would love to have something similar on my rig.

I have searched around with limited success - I was hoping I could find a top kit for a reasonable amount ( I hate to drop 3 - 4 grand on a top for a boat I only paid that much to buy)that could be adjusted to fit my boat . The TTop kits out there are designed for a CC Boat. Atlantic Towers new Walk Around Cuddy Top in a box kit is absolutley gorgeous but wont fit my boat. Atlantic towers does make a hardtop designed for my boat but based on the dimensions it would be as far back into the fish fighting area as my current canvas.

After all this leg work I am now thinking I have the following options

1) Live with my current canvas ( hey at least this option is cheap)

2) See if my current canvas can be reworked to shorten it - this would solve the fish fighting room issues but I will still have Top Envy

3) Have an aluminum Tramp top frame custom built by someone local and have a trampoline Canvas made to fit it

4) Build my own frame out of heavy gauge EMT and have a Trampoline Canvas made up for it

So - what kind of opinions and options can you guys share here ?? Have any of you had something custom done local to rochester that you could recommend??

Thanks

Ted

I had a similar problem when I bought my 22' Lund Baron Magnum. I fished it for a couple years and decided to have a canvas shop look at modifying the current top. I was told $800, because the frame would have to be totally redone. I went with a complete new top, side curtains and aft curtain for $1500. at Steves custom canvas near Ontario NY. That way I could make all of the other adjustments from the original canvas which I did not like, larger open area, slighty taller, removable windows above winshield, and I also moved where the side curtains mount to accomadate rod storage tubes on the gunnels.

I am pleased with the changes except in a driving rain.

Check out John Mann in sodus also, may get a better price. Most custom shops can do exactly what you want, so take your time when deciding on layout.

Thats a tough one, it would be great if you can weld aluminum, thats what I do.

There are some hard work solutions for you, one would be to build your hard top and use rivets, they hold extremely well if you place a couple in each joint. then sheet it with sheet aluminum as well. Once it looks like you want it to, then talk to a welder. Invest in a HD rivet gun, and use the stout rivets. The sheet metal would go on after all the welding, and rivets work very well when you use quality heavy duty rivets.

I know if someone brought something to me, and all I had to do was weld it up (you should offer to stay and help clean the joints) it would not be bad work at all. It would be a half day affair so long as you did a good job getting everything the way you want it before showing up to the welder. The fabrication time is the killer as far as custom cost, so if you do that...

I made several this way and the builder was always happy

Probably the simplest and most inexpensive option is to modify your existing canvas top. Not as simple as it sounds. You could use the existing frame, I'm not sure without looking at it, but I think you would just have to shorten the frame a little, to accomdate a shorter canvas with the same height. The side curtains would have to be redone, which can be expesive depending on the clear vinyl material that you use. As for the top itself, that's the easiest part, take out the stitching, trim off the desired amount, and re-hem it to accomodate the framing.

If you're handy, and in an extreme crunch for money (as I often am), you can do this yourself. I did a complete replacement top for my 21' Sportcraft last winter. Certainly not as nice as Steve's custom canvas, but it looks good and keeps us out of the sun, wind, and rain.

If you have the money, I'd hire someone to do it.

I too still have top envy, but it's deffinately not as bad as it was. Good Luck.

Chris