Make-shift Quick strike rig...question?

so I was thinking I should make a couple quick strike rigs for some of the big suckers I just got to put under tip ups but I have a question about some of the stuff i got...

my only close option was dicks in victor and their selection on anything is god awful so I didnt have much to work with..

but I was looking to use some fluorocarbon but they the heaviest they had was 20 lb so I didnt know if that was strong enough or not and I didnt know if I could get away with using my 65lb braid or not but I got these big circle hooks size 8/0 with what I thought was 50lb fluoro attached but its just 50 lb mono...will that still work or should i cut it off and use something else? then from the eye of that hook I was going to tie a 65 lb. braid line with a trebel to put behind the dorsal just to have some sort of make shift quick strike...will this work or should I do something else?

I don't know too much about quick strike rigs but but I do know that you don't want braid near the sucker. too easy for a toothie to cut it. between 20 lb fluoro and 50 mono I would think the mono since its thicker and thus probably more resistent to a bite off but I'm not certain of that

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile.png

Here's a link to some Virginia muskie guys who use circle hooks-

http://virginiamusky.com/project-noble- ... k-success/

You could also have a look at websites in the UK and Ireland. Those guys do an awful lot of live and dead bait fishing for pike and have developed quite an assortment of terminal tackle designs that work. They are big time into almost total catch and release and have several "quick strike" rigs to study. The terminology is a little different, i.e. what we call a leader to them is a trace, etc. so just read up and figure it out as you go.