Using a Mercury Optimax in the winter

Frisco

Any of you guys using a Optimax in the winter? I have a 3 year old 175 that steams up in the winter. Mercury has changed the thermostats, heat sensors, & gaskets without success. The problem seems to be the heads overheating until the thermostats open.

• 3 months later...

I have run mine well into december and in temperatures as low as 10 degrees but on the ocean. The colder the air the better she runs. I do have to open the pisser hose often and I always let the engine block warm for at least 5 minutes sometimes 10 minutes before throttling up. Cold power heads and quick start up's and running hard right out of the gate can't be good. I am not a mechanic but it can't be good.

Chris, you're batting two for two on these important yet overlooked finer points related to the opti. You are correct that the motor needs to be completely warmed before powering up...the cylinder and piston need to both have time to expand equally. This is probably THE most important thing to know about opti operation.

The tolerances are so tight on the opti in particular (needed to help achieve the emissions rating) that you can cold seize it quite easily if they are not equally heated/expanded. that would most likely result in catastrophic failure: aka rod through the block wall. :o

The same goes for hot seize...gunning a warm motor floods it with ice cold water, quickly cooling the block.

Best bet in the winter is ALWAYS let it warm completely first, then gradually give it gas. That way they expand equally, then contract equally. After a 5 minute warm up, I run it underway at around 2k for a minute to let it cool slowly, and once the temps have come down, slowly throttle up. To be safe, You should always let it warm first, even summer, with a slow start anytime the motor is at the high idle temps that optis have..

Not to be alarmist, however there are MANY stories are floating around about people with 'windowed' blocks as a result of careless operation in this aspect. ;)

Thanks, This has been (guiding was) my full time job since 1996. And living in New Jersey, if I was not running due to mechanical issues, I couldn't keep up with the taxes and BS that this great state throws at ya! Plus, I hate when my friends are on meat and I am side lined due to motor issues. I kiss my Mercury 200 Optimax and Mercury 90/65 Jet Motor after every trip. And sometime when I walk past them.

Good advice. I run a 250 Opti Pro XS. You defintely need to let them warm up. I fish ice out in March and into December on Erie pretty much till we can't fish any longer and I let mine run a solid 10 minutes before going anywhere and when I do I don't get on it hard, I take it really easy on the motor when the water is below 40. It does love the cold air and cold water and my motor also runs the best during spring, fall and winter but you can't beat on it. I have heard of guys blowing them up from not letting the motor properly warm up. Some horror stories on Walleye Central.

Another comment, what are you using to relieve the frozen buildup in the pea hole? I have been using a bottom bouncer end that seems to work nicely.

And what about draining water from the motor in subfreezing conditions? On the illinois river, we used to raise and lower the motor multiple times to drain it well. Then spin it (dry turnover)for a couple of second to get water out of the impeller and drawing area. (Yamaha 200 HPDI)

Are these things something I should continue with my Optimax 250?